Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

im back...again

and i thought id just update on how the tank is coming. 25 gallon reef with 1 tomato clown, 1 feather duster, mushrooms, and some zooanthids. also an outbreak of aptasia.

my question is this.

now that the tank is completely stable and clean and good and perfect, what kind of fish would yall suggest for this combination of life?

another question...how can i get rid of this nasty aptasia?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia. I'd try letting one or two go at it before you try chemicals.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Possibly a goby of some sort would be nice. Look around the web and let us know what you like. Then we can help steer you in the right direction on specifics.

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Aiptasia Removal Methods"

Peppermints are hit & miss.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, id really like to get another copper banded butterfly, but i dont think my tank is large enough. possibly another clown? idk really, just something that is fun to look at and has alot of personality. im just kinda lost. dunno where is a good place to do research?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A copperband butterfly should not be kept in a 25 gallon. Your clown probably won't allow another clown in the tank, and maybe won't allow other fish period, although HN1's suggestion of a goby is more likely to work IMO than a lot of other fish. Tomatos grow pretty large and get pretty aggressive.

There are no guarantees that peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia, but ours does. It's certainly worth a try. You may still have to nuke the big ones though.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, when i got him, he was in a tank with alot of other clowns, so i didnt think that he would mind. your probably right though. well, we will just see how it goes. maybe focus more on making him happy first before even thinking of another fish. what kind of anenome would accept a 25 gal tank?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're going to need a lot of light for an anemone, as well as a mature tank. How long has this tank been set up? What kind of lighting do you have?
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

the tank has been set up almost a year, and im not sure what lights i have, (i just know they are coralife) but the main reason i even bought these lights was because it said that it was suitable for anenomes, and i knew then that i wanted one. i was just waiting for a time when the tank was old enough.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't even look into anemones....They are the most destructive things you can add to a small tank, they sting every coral they walk by IME, so you are limited in the amount of coral you can get. Look into frogspawn and anchor, less agressive and they can't move. Just don't stick anything that close to them. Clowns may not host a nem anyway. HTH
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

so just get a frogspawn or anchor? granted they look cool, really pretty and awesome colors, but will it let the clown bond to it? i just want the clown to come out from behind all the rocks and be more "social" i guess.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com