Hello, thinking (... well past thinking) of converting my tropical aquarium into a marine one, after my failure with the 30 gal
and the 2gal nano I previously attempted.
anyway this time i'm planning on doing a fish only setup, possibly with live rock, no corals this time as I am not wanting to spend a fortune on lighting.
the tank is (i believe) 85 gallons, correct me if i'm wrong, (3ft x 2.5ft x 18inH).
I would be appriciative if anyone could help me out,
- What substrate should I use?, before I tried using crushed coral but then switched because I was advised against using it, so I tried marine sand but it was like dust and the slightest distubance would cause it to rise and get sucked up the filter intake, grinding the magnetic part of the impeller causing a horrible noise and eventually breaking the filter
- filtration, at the moment I only have a single canister filter, however it is holding up against an adult Oscar, so I think it can handle a few marine fish, is there any rule that says how much filtration is neccesary for x amount of fish?
- lighting, because i'm only planning on keeping fish will flourescent suffice? I will add a couple of PC
's if I add any live rock.
- salt, any reccomendations as to what brand of marine salt to use?
- live rock, is this neccessary if I use canisters on a fish only setup? I may add a small amount to seed the huge pile of tufa rock I have in there already.
I plan on stocking it with a powder blue tang, and 2-3 yellow tangs, any other colourful fish I could add which won't hide all day?
sorry about the long post, any help is greatly appriciated, thanks.