Im getting a little confused...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrennanX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All of this has really overwhelmed me, Ive browsed hundres of pages of these forums looking at all of the incredible details, but really its opened up alot of questions, more than i have already asked believe it or not! :lol:

My main begins with the tank.

I had initially planned to get a 72 gal BF tank. Now, obviously the surface area is a tad different....is it worth getting just a 75 gal for roughly the same price and increase surface area, or is the beauty of a bowed tank outweight the few extra gallons and surface area? -- also the predrilled tanks, how is it that you fit the pipes in the glass without there being leaks and such? Is predrilled better than an overflow?

Secondly...

I really like the idea of sump pumps, someone posted a great article for me (http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html) because of the lack of clutter in the actual viewing space of the tank. But i noticed all of the design and such of it, it really looks like alot of work. Is it something that can be easily done? if possible i would like a refrigium in it....do these come premade, or do you pretty much have to set up your own?

As well as...

When i was young, i always wanted a reef tank and i knew when i got a job and such, i would be able to finally get one. Without an extensive amount of research, i put aside about 700$ for a tank et al. Now im realizing that is really not going to cut it for a 72-75gal reef tank. Is it unheard of for me just to setup the tank with the substrates (i plan to have LS and LR), and just cycle water for a couple months until i am able to set up everything completely?

I apologize for all of the questions. I just realize that this is a very expensive hobby, ive spent almost 100 on books, and i just want to make sure i get everything right and understand everything before i make the plunge.

I also really appreciate everyone who has and will responded to my questions, i owe a debt of gratitude to you all who are helping us newbies with your infinate wisdom, it is truly appreciated, and i thank every one of you.

$700 for a 75 is not going to be enough money.. I would just keep saving until you have enough to set it up right. Cutting corners only ends up costing more in the long haul.

Drilled or reef ready tanks IMO are better then using a overflow box. There are these things called bulkhead fittings that are used to there are no leaks.
Setting up the tank can be hard for some people. I found it easier to use hose instead of PVC pipe. No skill needed to use clear hose, cut to length and use a hose clamp and your done for the most part.
Keep doing your research before jumping into the SW world.

I have a corner bow, and I'm not sure I'd buy it again . the bow on the 72 isn't as extreme, but it will still make viewing things strange.

SW is expensive, but there are ways to cut corners. you can get hirocks.com dry base rock, and put a single pound of "real" LR to seed it. you can use aragonite playsand, but be careful to be sure you get the right kind.

you should try to get a reef ready tank, but you can skip the sump for now if you want. You can go with cheap lighting for now, and upgrade when you're ready to go for corals. You can go with a remora pro as a hang on skimmer, which with a lot of LR is all you'll need for filtration.

I got a RODI from ebay for 130 that has saved me at least that much on bottled water cost (I drink the RO before the DI)

The most important thing is to take your time, since rushing will only waste money.

I have a 175 bow and I love it, the rockwork stacks nicely between the boxes and the fish have a lot more swimming room than in my regular rectangle tanks that are set up in a similar manner.

175 would be nice :)

Really it's personal preference. just be sure you see one set up and full of water/fish before you decide on it.

Do the bow. Looks nice in the room as a more decorative piece IMO.

Just make sure you don't get a glass door on the stand - - as I did with my 72g Oceanic combo. Makes it impossible to do an in sump refugium with requisite lighting down there.

I would also recommend a cheap 20g setup with flourescent lighting. You can use that for your quarantine tank :soap: for new fish additions and start up experience.

Good luck and let us know how you're coming along. 8)

I had initially planned to get a 72 gal BF tank. Now, obviously the surface area is a tad different....is it worth getting just a 75 gal for roughly the same price and increase surface area,
I have a 72gal bow and am pretty happy with it. I do like the looks of the bow front however, it created quite a headache when I wanted to by a MH lighting fixture that would fit on top of the tank. A 75gal creates a much better foot print for a fixture to sit on, it is a bit wider at the ends.
the predrilled tanks, how is it that you fit the pipes in the glass without there being leaks and such?
Rubber gaskets. Most reef ready tanks come with the needed accessories to do the plumbing in the tank.
Is predrilled better than an overflow?
IMO, yes.

I dont' think having the tank sitting there cycling water for a few months would be a bad thing, but keep in mind, the tank and water are really drops in the bucket in overall expense heh.
I stopped keeping track of how much my 90g is costing me..
I do know in just a few months time now, well, I coulda bought a very nice used car hehe

And if you did get a reef ready with a sump and only had water cycling through it...well...when I had mine doing the same thing... it was the most expensive home water fall sound my friends had every heard :D

(GL and keep the faith...it really is worth it!!)

Ahahah, thanks alot guys.

Ive just decided to bite the patient pill for a couple more months, drop a few more bucks in research, and visit some of the LFS that members here were kind enough to provide with me.

Besides, I'm having a great time just reading about all of this. It is really fascinating, im a knowledge sponge anyways, and im learning an incredible amount.

Im in this for the long run, its just going to take a little more running to actually start.

Good choice. The experience will be a lot more rewarding 'cause of your patience.

Just hang around these boards long enuf and check out the successes and failures. Can learn a whole lot that way. :wink:

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom