Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting my LR from lr.com today.. .QUESTIONS!

Hi All

I am very excited. We are getting 40 pounds of Keys Rock from LiveRocks.com today. We are adding it to an established 55 gallon corner unit bowfront which already has 35 pounds of LR that we got off Ebay.

I'm also a little nervous! Do I dip it first to make sure we don't have anything we don't want like mantis or bristle worms? What would I dip it in? How will I know what is bad/good critters?

We made water last night (I have to laugh every time I say that!). We have it set to the side. Should I put it right in the new water while we decide how to aquascape? Or will it be OK out for a while while we agonize over where to put each piece?

We also order 2 pounds of LR rubble to put in our Eheim 2215 canister filter. Anything I should know about doing that? What if some critters are in that and go in the canister?

I have a goby who likes to cover the rock with sand. I try to blow it off with a turkey baster. Some never comes off. Will this eventually kill the LR?

54G AGA Corner Tank
Eheim 2215 Canister Filter (w/ live rock rubble in it)
3 Maxijet 1200 Power Heads
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I see nothing wrong with bristleworms. You can do a highsalinity dip that can drive out hiding mantis, crabs and the like. Worms wont likly be driven out by this unless you let it soak and I would not avocate this.

The rock has already been out of the water for close to 24 hours so a nother hour wont do much damage as long as it remains moist. If its going to be more than an hour from recept till its in the tank I would go ahead and put it in the holding container. When I aquascape I often just take it one rock at a time vs try to lay out something and then reproduce it in the tank.

The only thing tha twoudl be killed by the sand covering it is the corline algae that might be on that location thats covered with sand for a long duration (days).
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com