I'm getting my LR from lr.com today.. .QUESTIONS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All

I am very excited. We are getting 40 pounds of Keys Rock from LiveRocks.com today. We are adding it to an established 55 gallon corner unit bowfront which already has 35 pounds of LR that we got off Ebay.

I'm also a little nervous! Do I dip it first to make sure we don't have anything we don't want like mantis or bristle worms? What would I dip it in? How will I know what is bad/good critters?

We made water last night (I have to laugh every time I say that!). We have it set to the side. Should I put it right in the new water while we decide how to aquascape? Or will it be OK out for a while while we agonize over where to put each piece?

We also order 2 pounds of LR rubble to put in our Eheim 2215 canister filter. Anything I should know about doing that? What if some critters are in that and go in the canister?

I have a goby who likes to cover the rock with sand. I try to blow it off with a turkey baster. Some never comes off. Will this eventually kill the LR?

TIA
DJ

I see nothing wrong with bristleworms. You can do a highsalinity dip that can drive out hiding mantis, crabs and the like. Worms wont likly be driven out by this unless you let it soak and I would not avocate this.

The rock has already been out of the water for close to 24 hours so a nother hour wont do much damage as long as it remains moist. If its going to be more than an hour from recept till its in the tank I would go ahead and put it in the holding container. When I aquascape I often just take it one rock at a time vs try to lay out something and then reproduce it in the tank.

The only thing tha twoudl be killed by the sand covering it is the corline algae that might be on that location thats covered with sand for a long duration (days).

Back
Top Bottom