Im looking into setting up a 30 gal reef and fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Taotronic LEDs I think are amazing for the price. If I turn my 36 back into reef, I will be putting one of them above it. Same will go if I ever upgrade tanks. I love my radions, but man were they pricey. I worked hard to pay for them since they gave me everything I wanted. But at the time, taotronics didn't make a dimmable led, which they do now. I really liked being able to mess with my radions on my computer...but now I want to mess with the lighting schedule again and my computer is on the other side of the room. A simple timer that costs a dollar can do that, it is what I have on my T5s over the 36.

Also, the fact that they are cheaper than all other options adds another layer to things. Even if you wanted to have a tank full of softies, getting the taotronics makes sense to me because once you get things started you will want more. You save a ton of money that way.

Haha between you and Carey I think I'll have to give the taotronics a try. I have a license plate they made that has led lighting and I like it just not the whole suspend from my ceiling isn't something that appeals to me so maybe just build a canopy and do something similar to what kio did as you recommended

Haha I might that sucker is bright I can see the blue glow in my rearview at night. What would your opinion be doing a protein skimmer and sump on a 30 gal?

I would make your own. It is simple. When I started I bought one and it cost me like...200 bucks. I just made one from a 20 gal long. After buying the tank for 40 bucks, 4 glass panels that I got cut from lowes, and a tube of silicon...I spent 54 dollars and had a better sump than what I bought for over 200.

As for a skimmer, I'd save up and spend your money on this. A reef octopus, bubble magus, or something like that would be best. Getting one rated at double the size of yoru tank is what you'll want to aim for. This is the one I'm looking at to replace my garbage seaclone that I shouldn't have bought...also dont buy a coralife one.
Reef Octopus 6

wow sniperhank i just looked up those Radions you were talking about and, well, wow is all that covers it. VERY pricey compared to others that seem to do the same job in the end

RobbieHadley said:
wow sniperhank i just looked up those Radions you were talking about and, well, wow is all that covers it. VERY pricey compared to others that seem to do the same job in the end

Yes they are great lights. Many are not so willing to pay the price tag though. Those who do love them.

haha when i said i didnt have a price limit as long as i can enjoy my tank for years....yea i just found out i was kidding....thats waaay above my price limit haha. i cant see spending $750+ for a unit...and possibly needing more than one depending on your tank size

hey does anyone use those versa tops or any kind of glass hood for their salt water tanks? based on a lot of what ive read through the forums, it seems most opt for a no hood, i was wondering if there was a reason?

RobbieHadley said:
hey does anyone use those versa tops or any kind of glass hood for their salt water tanks? based on a lot of what ive read through the forums, it seems most opt for a no hood, i was wondering if there was a reason?

Yes there is a reason. Gas exchange is limited and heat can build up. Usually a top causes a depressed ph and increase temp. Oxygen and carbon dioxide cannot flow freely. Screens are much better if your worried about jumpy fish.

Yeah i kinda figured you didnt see the price tag lol.

I'm glad I asked then because I was planning on getting one haha. but I have a question about it. I know people who use them on their freshwater tanks and have never had a problem so what's so different with saltwater? Is it the minerals in the salt or what? That's exactly what I'm concerned Bout is jumping fish so I don't want to go without a top but don't want to use the ugly hood for my tank haha so I may have to use a hinged screen or something

RobbieHadley said:
I'm glad I asked then because I was planning on getting one haha. but I have a question about it. I know people who use them on their freshwater tanks and have never had a problem so what's so different with saltwater? Is it the minerals in the salt or what? That's exactly what I'm concerned Bout is jumping fish so I don't want to go without a top but don't want to use the ugly hood for my tank haha so I may have to use a hinged screen or something

Well major heat and ph fluctuation are more problematic in reef tanks. Oxygen, and surface agitation are important to keeping them stable.

Ok I can definately agree on that and the glass would trap the heat in more causing quite a bit of fluctuation in all balances. I thank you for te heads up like I said I was gonna buy one for it but now I'll probably find a hinged screen or something. None of my freshwater fish have tried to jump before but I've seen some saltwater fish do like to try and jump.

RobbieHadley said:
Ok I can definately agree on that and the glass would trap the heat in more causing quite a bit of fluctuation in all balances. I thank you for te heads up like I said I was gonna buy one for it but now I'll probably find a hinged screen or something. None of my freshwater fish have tried to jump before but I've seen some saltwater fish do like to try and jump.

Yep, no problem. Screens work much better for reefs. Bulkreefsupply.com actually sells materials and tool to make your own custom screen top. The screen is clear and doesnt block light.

Back
Top Bottom