Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry meant to put lighting unit

Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #42
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The Taotronic LEDs I think are amazing for the price. If I turn my 36 back into reef, I will be putting one of them above it. Same will go if I ever upgrade tanks. I love my radions, but man were they pricey. I worked hard to pay for them since they gave me everything I wanted. But at the time, taotronics didn't make a dimmable led, which they do now. I really liked being able to mess with my radions on my computer...but now I want to mess with the lighting schedule again and my computer is on the other side of the room. A simple timer that costs a dollar can do that, it is what I have on my T5s over the 36.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #43
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Also, the fact that they are cheaper than all other options adds another layer to things. Even if you wanted to have a tank full of softies, getting the taotronics makes sense to me because once you get things started you will want more. You save a ton of money that way.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha between you and Carey I think I'll have to give the taotronics a try. I have a license plate they made that has led lighting and I like it just not the whole suspend from my ceiling isn't something that appeals to me so maybe just build a canopy and do something similar to what kio did as you recommended
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #45
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Glad I was able to turn you, lol. If you ever need another unit, maybe you could hang the license plate up! Lol.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha I might that sucker is bright I can see the blue glow in my rearview at night. What would your opinion be doing a protein skimmer and sump on a 30 gal?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #47
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would make your own. It is simple. When I started I bought one and it cost me like...200 bucks. I just made one from a 20 gal long. After buying the tank for 40 bucks, 4 glass panels that I got cut from lowes, and a tube of silicon...I spent 54 dollars and had a better sump than what I bought for over 200.

As for a skimmer, I'd save up and spend your money on this. A reef octopus, bubble magus, or something like that would be best. Getting one rated at double the size of yoru tank is what you'll want to aim for. This is the one I'm looking at to replace my garbage seaclone that I shouldn't have bought...also dont buy a coralife one.
Reef Octopus 6
Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
...dont buy a coralife one.
Reef Octopus 6
I'm assuming your speaking from experience? haha
Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow sniperhank i just looked up those Radions you were talking about and, well, wow is all that covers it. VERY pricey compared to others that seem to do the same job in the end
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieHadley
wow sniperhank i just looked up those Radions you were talking about and, well, wow is all that covers it. VERY pricey compared to others that seem to do the same job in the end
Yes they are great lights. Many are not so willing to pay the price tag though. Those who do love them.

Tags
advice, reef, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com