Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RobbieHadley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roy, UT
Posts: 201
Question Im looking into setting up a 30 gal reef and fish tank

Hi everyone. Im looking into setting up a 30 gal reef and fish tank but Im new to the saltwater aquarium, I have only ever dealt with freshwater. I have been doing a lot of reading throughout these forums, as well as others but wanted to see if you can all help me answer some of the more specific questions I have. My first question is what type of lighting you prefer for your tank, T5, LED, mix of both? any recommendations on brand? I plan on having a mix of LPS and SPS corals as well as an Anenome and possibly others. (i want a bright colorful reef look) I was also wondering, because its on the smaller end, would you recommend a sump? I know i can get away without having one, and i like the idea of being able to put everything like the heater and whatnot in the sump so its not in the tank, and this brings me into part two of this question, for a tank so small, would you recommend a protein skimmer? This is really what makes me lean towards using a sump is if its recommended to still have a protein skimmer. I also plan on having live rock and live sand as my primary filtration, what else would you recommend? and my last question, for a 30 gal tank, what kind of powerhead/wavemaker would you recommend for the the mix of corals i listed above? Sorry to bombard you with a bunch of questions, i want to start getting this tank set up within the next 6-8 months and want to be as prepared as possible, especially with the equipment. Thanks in advance!
__________________

__________________
RobbieHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bigben2057's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 600
For sps,anemone your gonna want either a 4 bulb t5 ho or LEDS. I have a 30 gallon reef with just softies and lps. I have no sump or protein skimmer, I have one marine land penguin 350,and 150 filter along with a power head. It works great and conditions stay constant.
__________________

__________________
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RobbieHadley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roy, UT
Posts: 201
Bigben: how did you hide te filter intake tubes and heater?
__________________
RobbieHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bigben2057's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 600
Heater can be easy put behind the live rock, mines too long but in the penguin 350 theirs enough room to put it. As for the intake tubes I was going to try to hide them, but realized they don't really bother me, but you can buy enough live rock and build it up to cover the intakes.
__________________
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieHadley
Hi everyone. Im looking into setting up a 30 gal reef and fish tank but Im new to the saltwater aquarium, I have only ever dealt with freshwater. I have been doing a lot of reading throughout these forums, as well as others but wanted to see if you can all help me answer some of the more specific questions I have. My first question is what type of lighting you prefer for your tank, T5, LED, mix of both? any recommendations on brand? I plan on having a mix of LPS and SPS corals as well as an Anenome and possibly others. (i want a bright colorful reef look) I was also wondering, because its on the smaller end, would you recommend a sump? I know i can get away without having one, and i like the idea of being able to put everything like the heater and whatnot in the sump so its not in the tank, and this brings me into part two of this question, for a tank so small, would you recommend a protein skimmer? This is really what makes me lean towards using a sump is if its recommended to still have a protein skimmer. I also plan on having live rock and live sand as my primary filtration, what else would you recommend? and my last question, for a 30 gal tank, what kind of powerhead/wavemaker would you recommend for the the mix of corals i listed above? Sorry to bombard you with a bunch of questions, i want to start getting this tank set up within the next 6-8 months and want to be as prepared as possible, especially with the equipment. Thanks in advance!
I have kept a few tanks this size and currently have a 29g mixed reef. I highly recommend a sump and skimmer. Water quality and light are everything to sps. Sump is no problem for this tank. A 20g long would probably work perfect for it.

As for lighting i highly recommend Leds. If you decide on T5's then honestly you need a 6 bulb to grow the harder sps well like acros. You would get bet growth and color with more bulb options as far as combinations. Leds will save you money. Maybe not at initial purchase but over time.

How much are you looking to invest in certain equipment? I can suggest things all day but not really helping you if i dont know your price range.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RobbieHadley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roy, UT
Posts: 201
yea i could probably build the live rock up to hide intakes, that would work and could get a submersible heater to help hide behind the rocks as well. whats the rate on your power head?
__________________
RobbieHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bigben2057's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieHadley View Post
yea i could probably build the live rock up to hide intakes, that would work and could get a submersible heater to help hide behind the rocks as well. whats the rate on your power head?
My power heads only 200gph,but I have low flow coral. the two filter produce an additional 500gph of flow. The flow pretty decent.
__________________
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RobbieHadley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roy, UT
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
I have kept a few tanks this size and currently have a 29g mixed reef. I highly recommend a sump and skimmer. Water quality and light are everything to sps. Sump is no problem for this tank. A 20g long would probably work perfect for it.

As for lighting i highly recommend Leds. If you decide on T5's then honestly you need a 6 bulb to grow the harder sps well like acros. You would get bet growth and color with more bulb options as far as combinations. Leds will save you money. Maybe not at initial purchase but over time.

How much are you looking to invest in certain equipment? I can suggest things all day but not really helping you if i dont know your price range.
Cost isnt too big a deal for me, Im willing to spend more if it means that I can have a healthy, vibrant tank that I will be able to enjoy for many years. You mention that I would get better growth and color with a combo of bulb options, Im assuming you are talking about a T5 in that situation, what benefits does LEDs bring into the picture? I hear everyone say they are better cost wise in the long run, like you mentioned, but what will it bring that a T5 wont in your opinion?
__________________
RobbieHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bigben2057's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 600
If you have t5 lighting you have to replace the bulbs every 6mo. So if you have 6 bulbs @ 20 each that's 120+ every six months that you dont have to worry about with LED. LEds are also much brighter.
__________________
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RobbieHadley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roy, UT
Posts: 201
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2057 View Post
My power heads only 200gph,but I have low flow coral. the two filter produce an additional 500gph of flow. The flow pretty decent.
200gph would be good like how you took into consideration the flow from your filters, i never would have thought of that. If i dont do a sump then having a filter or two is the way i plan on going. I think to start off with i may do without the sump even and as i learn and grow with my tank maybe set up a sump at that point. I will take into consideration still of using a protein skimmer eventually as well, maybe just do a H.O.T skimmer.
__________________

__________________
RobbieHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, reef, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.