Originally Posted by bmb4516
What is the "TOXIC" nitrate level?
Depends on the type of tank and animals in it. If we are speaking strictly about the two fish you have mentioned, they could weather some high nitrates in the 60-80 ppm
range. Not something I would suggest as an acceptable operating level but it is not altogether toxic. With inverts and such, keep it under 15-10 ppm
unless caring for more sensitive corals then as close to zero as possible..
Keep in mind though that with excessive NO3
usually follows the other two so check the NH3
and be sure to do the appropriate water changes. Without fish for so long the tank will have lost a fair amount of it's bacterial population unless you've been feeding the tank at least weekly. It should recover fairly quickly depending on how much bio material is available for the bacteria.