I'm new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RuMbLeFaCe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just got in to the whole salt water thing. I have a 10g tank w/ 12lbs of live rock, 5 hermits, 1CBS, 1 BYT damsel. Is this too much??? Can I add a clown? Which plants can I add? Thanks for any advice;)

Damsel and clown might fight. Pretty tight quarters. As far as plants go, there are many different types of macro algae you could keep. Several are sold on different Internet sites, or LFS could recommend some types they have available. Too many to list. You might try a shrimp.

To be honest I wouldnt add a clown, it will outgrow that tank really quick. There are alot of good choices here at this link:

Nano Fish

That site lists the requirements and alot of great information on like every fish. LOL

You could also swap out the damsel for a clown, maybe...But then I wouldnt think you could get any more fish. the damsel can go in with a clown goby, or some of the other cool gobies they have, or maybe a firefish. :)

Thx so much! I'm full of questions. I'm sure I'll think of more. Carey, ur tanks r beautiful.

So what's the deal with anemone? What type of special treatment do they need? I'm contemplating trading the damsel for a clown. But, I read that while the clown can adapt w/o an anemone, they are natural allies. I'd like to duplicate this at home, but want to make sure I can provide the care needed.

Theres no guarantee that a clown will host a nem. it;s hit or miss. They are just as likely to host a coral or a rock. LOL

Anenomes require pristine water, excellent lighting and an established tank.

Next question. How often should I change my water? (10g) I've been checking my salinity everyday. (it's staying at 1.024) Do I need to check salinity everyday? When I do my pH tests, everything comes out great except for hardness. A rep at my lfs told me this is not a huge concern. Is she right? What can I do to correct it either way? And last but not least. What constitutes as a water change? Does this mean change the water in the entire tank? Or just a percentage? Like the thread says, I'm new! I kinda got picked to do this hobby. Wasn't by choice, however I'm loving it!:)

Back
Top Bottom