Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you feeding the tank? The flake foods are very high in phos. The frozen should be strained before adding to the tank (brine shrimp net would be perfect). I would remove 1/3 of the rock weekly into a bucket that's kept moving, but dark. Start feeding one or two times per week at most. And you may want to do a couple weeks of fresh ground seafoods just to ensure that there's no PO4 getting into the water.

If you're testing .2 then you're off the charts for what isn't being consumed by the GHA. You have to find the source of the PO4 (what kind of food? what kind of salt? what are the readings of a fresh batch of your RO/DI? Salt mixed water?) in order to get it under control. Everything else is just a "clean up" process and doesn't really work until you've eliminated the source.

www.keyscritters.com has great prices on inverts. Our club is doing a group buy right now so we'll all split the shipping. You need to order at least 100$ so maybe that isn't the answer if you're looking for a cheap answer.

At long last, look into dosing Vodka into the tank. I've heard that it causes a chain reaction (of drunk fish, lol) that causes bacteria to out compete the GHA and blah blah blah the next thing you know no GHA.

Good luck. Hang in there!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does vodka really work? I am battling some GHA as well and have been trying many things and am slowly losing the battle. I am working on controlling all other factors, but if a little vodka will help, I would like to try it.

If this is for real, how much would you dose for a 72G??

tripper

Old 11-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Someone tried vodka in our club and I don't think it worked out very well. I'll try and dig up the thread.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll have to do a search for it. I've never had to do it but I've heard people swear by it. I've read the logic and it made sense at the time. It is one of those things that I'd use as a last resort if necessary.

Don't forget to blow the detritus off of the rock as often as possible to. Skimmer running at full tilt? Producing good nasty stuff?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drink enough vodka and you will dive in and eat the algae yourself.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

And are you speaking from experience?! LOL! I'm going to have to advise against drinking and diving!

Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

no comment. If it does work it seems like everclear would work better. Just the alcohol without the extra stuff
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Ive read about the vodka treatment recently.. it is suppose to be a food sorce for your denitrifing bacteria to get there numbers up to fight off NO3 and PO4 problems that cause the algae problems.. if there is no NO3 or PO4 I dont see how it would help.. Though if there is NO3 and PO4 finding the source of the problem and fixing it would be a better idea in my mind..

brian.. your idea does make sence.. that is the food source but Im not so sure everclear was on the market when this method was started.. well the kind made around here was but it's not that legal..

I have some idea's from things Ive read but Im not so sure any of it is popular thinking yet (Ie it might just be pure theroy and dont want to spout it around too much..) Malkore.. If you want to hear this stuff I can give you a PM.. LOL
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

After you try every thing else and you still have HA try AZNO3 before you break the tank down. Guys in my reef club tried this and it worked great for them.
HA can be a long battle, good luck.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Brenden's funny. I have to test that this holiday weekend.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com