Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm stumped... most corals looking rough...

I just got home from work to find most of my corals looking deflated and sickly. All zoas are closed up (I've never had any zoa's that will stay open more than partially), my frogspawn is more closed than normal - no brown jelly. Bubble corals not looking as vibrant as normal.

I've got a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon long sump.

Water test results:
Temp: 78F
pH: 8.0
dKH: 8
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate: 0
calcium: 440
phosphates: reading 0

The only thing I can think of is I took my skimmer out of the sump yesterday so I could clean it because it wasn't making bubbles as vigorously as normal and had lots of coralline growth in it.

My lights are a 4x54T5 fixture with less than 6 month old ATI bulbs (2 blue plus, 1 purple plus, 1 white).

My 3 fish (lol) are doing fine! 6 line wrasse, yellow watchman goby, and one percula clown. (there's more in qt )

If you can think of something I haven't, please let me know!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only thing off the top of my head would be stray voltage, but I would imagine that would have an affect on the fish as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

stray voltage woun't cause a problem unless the water was grounded, then everythign would die
Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol, weird you mention voltage. We've had 4 lightbulbs blow in our house in the past 12 hours.

I'm going to go pick up some carbon and try that.

Also my galaxy coral isn't as open as normal...
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I once had a heater break in my tank and I didn't know it, until it turned on. It looked like someone was arc welding in the sump for about 5 seconds till I managed to pull the plug (gfci did not trip). the fish were unharmed but all of the corals looked terrible, and later browned out. They all recovered, but I'm just saying this for conversations sake.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I once had a heater break in my tank and I didn't know it, until it turned on. It looked like someone was arc welding in the sump for about 5 seconds till I managed to pull the plug (gfci did not trip). the fish were unharmed but all of the corals looked terrible, and later browned out. They all recovered, but I'm just saying this for conversations sake.
I'll check on that when I get home. Then going to get some carbon, and a heater if need be lol.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heater's fine.

And make that 6 light bulbs... (not tank bulbs).

On my way to go get some carbon... Hopefully this will help...?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there is some toxin or something in the tank, yes, it will. I would just do a water change and see if that helps.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

in that case doug your main breaker shoudl have tripped out and if it didn't i would check that out before anything. a dead short lasting that long is a bad breaker and a good way to burn down your home.

the best type of protection to have for an aquarium is an arc fault breaker, it is similar to a ground fault, but it detects arcing and with the slightest arc it trips out. a ground fault senses a leak in voltage between the line and the neutral, if there is no ground and the system is isolated a GFI won't trip at all, in your case the dead short was causing currnet to return on the neutral so all was the same. in that case a ground probe would have benifit you.

but in this case i highly doubt there was stray voltage and im sure the reason your corals browned was a sudden change in water temp, an arc gets to 20 000 degrees celcius and no doubt shot up the temp in your sump
Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

No way would that change 400 gallons of water in 5 seconds. the xenia turned as white as paper in a second. it was shocked.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com