I'm taking the plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm gonna get a few shrooms this weekend. What would be some good starters, should I buy looseleaf or attached to rock, how about spacing, and transferring to tank from bag(handling) I need the answers to these questions and then I think I will be good to go. Oh,and will my red-legged hermit bother any of them? All params are zero,calc-500,dkh-10, ph-8.3,lights are 6-39w 12000k t5ho's.

Yeah lighting is fine for some morphs, Get them attached. They're the hardest corals ever, You can pick them up, Leave out of the water(for a short period), Use superglue to attach them, And the fun part.. Cut them up and make lots of morphs, Then sell them!

I would get ones attached to a rock, Then once you get the hang of them. Slice the base and cut the top into half or quaters.

Seriously, Buy, Drop in tank, Wait a day or two for full extension and you've got mushrooms. Lol.

shrooms and zoas are some of the easiest coral to keep, completely non-aggressive so spacing doesn't matter. Can't go wrong.

Also, should I be supplementing,them,if,so,what brand of tests should I use to check depletion,and how do you feed if you feed at all.

You shouldn't need to supplement your tank unless you are getting into large amounts of SPS or other calcifying coral. You will replace everything that you need to just through your weekly PWCs

Ok, thanks. This is new to me and didn't want to get into it without knowing anything first. Should I get the test kits anyway and get some baseline numbers beforehand?

Its always a good thing to know the levels of your freshly mixed SW, I have those written down for every different kind of salt i have used. But yea, its never a bad thing to know whats going on inside your tank and regularly testing.

Its always a good thing to know the levels of your freshly mixed SW, I have those written down for every different kind of salt i have used. But yea, its never a bad thing to know whats going on inside your tank and regularly testing.

^^^

This!

shrooms and zoas are some of the easiest coral to keep, completely non-aggressive so spacing doesn't matter. Can't go wrong.

Wrong. Zoa's (Depending which ones) and Mushrooms/Rics will murder alot of other corals. Rics/Mushrooms come from the anemone family.

Never have I ever heard of killer zoas or mushrooms. Ricordeas can be semi-aggressive, but they are about the only one I can think of and its an absurdly rare case at that.

Toxic green palys can release a toxin onto your skin and if you cut open a zoa and get the fluid in your mouth/eyes you can get really sick, but again, both are extremely rare cases. I have heard of a certain zoa being a better and more aggressive grower then those around it and they overrun them, but thats more things like GSP and blue clove polyps.

Before you just say, Wrong. How about some evidence that supports what you are saying?

Back
Top Bottom