Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm tearing down the 110

Well, I've decided I want to downgrade my 110 gal sw tank. I'm so frustrated with this tank and decided it's to much maintenance. It's been a constant battle with nitrates and I can't seem to get ahead even with 50% water changes and less feedings. Sooo, I went and bought a 55. I intend to use all the same equipment. It shouldn't be overkill I don't think. What do you all think? There is 100lbs of ls, 100lbs of lr, 48" pc light, tetratec 500 filter (there is no filter media. I just use it for flow and it holds the heater), remora pro skimmer and three maxijet 400 ph. I doubt I'll be able to fit all 100lbs of lr in there but I'll move some to my 30gal tank. As far as livestock, there are a few soft corals and lps, two false percs, rba, coral beauty angel, lawnmower blenny, brittle star and fighting conch. Oh, some snails and hermits. I realize it's said the bigger the more stable but, that hasn't been my experience. My 30gal has never given me a problem keeping the water stable. Any advice on the transfer would be appreciated. Oh, I have nassarius snails. I'm just gonna scoop up the sand and move it over, if they get buried deep, will they be able to dig their way out? I could sift through the sand and find them I guess but I'm not sure how many I have. I know the mantis ate a good many of them. TIA

Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

you're going to be reducing your water volume by 1/2 while maintaing the same bio-load. I think you're going to end up with more problems rather than fewer. How old is your 110? It may still be maturing. My 55 wasn't regularly stable for almost a year. The key to success is patience.

What kind of troubles have you been having? We'd be happy to try and help.

If you're going to tear it down anyway... what plans do you have for the 110 tank?

Old 09-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
yeah, If your having problems with your 110 gallon, chances are they will be magnified many times over if you are just transfering everything to your 55.

Like BillyZ said, How old was your 110 gallon???

It could just be that you have added to much at once. With SW, you can't rush. slow and steady wins the race.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My problems are nitrate. I use RO/DI water and it barely makes a difference. I can't keep up with the large water changes necessary to get them lowered and keep them there. This has been a problem since the beginning. My tap water holds a nitrate level of 40 and that's what I set the tank up and ran for over a year, with. I've been doing RO/DI water changes on it weekly for about 6 months and it seems I never get ahead. Other than that, the tank is 2 yrs old and I haven't added any fish in months. I don't intend to either. Another reason for downgrading. This tank is just a pain to maintenance. It's a 110 high and that doesn't help. Like I said, I have a 30 gal that is about 6 months old that I don't have a problem with at all. I understand what your saying about making things worse but I don't think it will. I don't have much of a bioload. Four fish. And, it's much easier to change 20-25 gal of water as opposed to 50 gal which is what I have been doing weekly on the large tank. As far what I'm gonna do with the big tank. Hmmm, don't really know. Maybe clean it good and throw my goldies in it for the winter. Haven't really given it much thought. I'm sure I can come up with something. Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not the greatest idea.........I had a 55 with puffers, and angels ,and triggers.So i moved to a 110 and it is healthier for them.Definetely impressed with the way my 110 is going.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, 110 would be better for puffers, angels and triggers. I don't have any of these. I have four small fish. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you transfer everything over, wouldn't the Nitrate concentration just be higher in the 55g you are transferring to? Where do you think the Nitrates are coming from?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will have to re-acclimate everything to new water I guess. 100% water change will help I'm sure. Then, maybe I can keep them down. I don't know where the nitrates are coming from. Wish I did. I don't know if it matters but, I bought the 110 gal tank used. Or if that even makes a difference. I know the tank was used for freshwater and we cleaned it well. Maybe it's harboring something? I don't know. I'm not gonna do the transfer in one night. And, being a new tank, ill only be putting three fish in. The lawnmower will go live in my other tank til the new one builds up some film algae. I think I'll set up a tank as temporary quarters for my corals and other fish til I can get things moved and the sand resettled.

Back to the original post, I really just wanted to know if anyone had any advice (other than not doing it) on the transfer. Although I appreciate what you all are saying and I understand where it's coming from, I'm doing what's right for me. So, anyone have any comments on rather the equipment I have will be overkill? Also, should I try and dig out the snails or do you think they will find their way out? Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

the equipment should all be fine. You might want to cut out the filter (this is basically working like a big pump, right? no media no cotton etc? if there's anything in this, it could be lending to the nitrate problem.) as with the 55 you'll want a little less water flow than in the 110 but you will want around 6-700 GPH.

I would think the snails should be fine. They live in the sand and can navigate without any issues. They'll know which way is up and should be able to get up to the surface easily enough.

In general, Nitrates are always the toughest to keep out of a tank. Have you tried any Nitrate Remover? Your LFS may cary some, you can try dropping that in the filter in a bag and see if that helps any over time. Just one last thought to try and help
Old 09-27-2004, 07:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks BillyZ. My LFS sucks. They don't carry anything saltwater but food, salt and fish. I go to Baltimore (1.5hr drive) when I need anything real but I'll check into it. And yes, the filter is empty. It holds the heater and used for carbon from time to time. What size heater do you recommend? I keep spares so I might have something here. Thanks again.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com