I'm tearing down the 110

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I've decided I want to downgrade my 110 gal sw tank. I'm so frustrated with this tank and decided it's to much maintenance. It's been a constant battle with nitrates and I can't seem to get ahead even with 50% water changes and less feedings. Sooo, I went and bought a 55. I intend to use all the same equipment. It shouldn't be overkill I don't think. What do you all think? There is 100lbs of ls, 100lbs of lr, 48" pc light, tetratec 500 filter (there is no filter media. I just use it for flow and it holds the heater), remora pro skimmer and three maxijet 400 ph. I doubt I'll be able to fit all 100lbs of lr in there but I'll move some to my 30gal tank. As far as livestock, there are a few soft corals and lps, two false percs, rba, coral beauty angel, lawnmower blenny, brittle star and fighting conch. Oh, some snails and hermits. I realize it's said the bigger the more stable but, that hasn't been my experience. My 30gal has never given me a problem keeping the water stable. Any advice on the transfer would be appreciated. Oh, I have nassarius snails. I'm just gonna scoop up the sand and move it over, if they get buried deep, will they be able to dig their way out? I could sift through the sand and find them I guess but I'm not sure how many I have. I know the mantis ate a good many of them. TIA

you're going to be reducing your water volume by 1/2 while maintaing the same bio-load. I think you're going to end up with more problems rather than fewer. How old is your 110? It may still be maturing. My 55 wasn't regularly stable for almost a year. The key to success is patience.

What kind of troubles have you been having? We'd be happy to try and help.

If you're going to tear it down anyway... what plans do you have for the 110 tank? :wink:

yeah, If your having problems with your 110 gallon, chances are they will be magnified many times over if you are just transfering everything to your 55.

Like BillyZ said, How old was your 110 gallon???

It could just be that you have added to much at once. With SW, you can't rush. slow and steady wins the race.

My problems are nitrate. I use RO/DI water and it barely makes a difference. I can't keep up with the large water changes necessary to get them lowered and keep them there. This has been a problem since the beginning. My tap water holds a nitrate level of 40 and that's what I set the tank up and ran for over a year, with. I've been doing RO/DI water changes on it weekly for about 6 months and it seems I never get ahead. Other than that, the tank is 2 yrs old and I haven't added any fish in months. I don't intend to either. Another reason for downgrading. This tank is just a pain to maintenance. It's a 110 high and that doesn't help. Like I said, I have a 30 gal that is about 6 months old that I don't have a problem with at all. I understand what your saying about making things worse but I don't think it will. I don't have much of a bioload. Four fish. And, it's much easier to change 20-25 gal of water as opposed to 50 gal which is what I have been doing weekly on the large tank. As far what I'm gonna do with the big tank. Hmmm, don't really know. Maybe clean it good and throw my goldies in it for the winter. Haven't really given it much thought. I'm sure I can come up with something. Thanks guys.

Not the greatest idea.........I had a 55 with puffers, and angels ,and triggers.So i moved to a 110 and it is healthier for them.Definetely impressed with the way my 110 is going.

Yeah, 110 would be better for puffers, angels and triggers. I don't have any of these. I have four small fish. Thanks anyway.

If you transfer everything over, wouldn't the Nitrate concentration just be higher in the 55g you are transferring to? Where do you think the Nitrates are coming from?

I will have to re-acclimate everything to new water I guess. 100% water change will help I'm sure. Then, maybe I can keep them down. I don't know where the nitrates are coming from. Wish I did. I don't know if it matters but, I bought the 110 gal tank used. Or if that even makes a difference. I know the tank was used for freshwater and we cleaned it well. Maybe it's harboring something? I don't know. I'm not gonna do the transfer in one night. And, being a new tank, ill only be putting three fish in. The lawnmower will go live in my other tank til the new one builds up some film algae. I think I'll set up a tank as temporary quarters for my corals and other fish til I can get things moved and the sand resettled.

Back to the original post, I really just wanted to know if anyone had any advice (other than not doing it) on the transfer. Although I appreciate what you all are saying and I understand where it's coming from, I'm doing what's right for me. So, anyone have any comments on rather the equipment I have will be overkill? Also, should I try and dig out the snails or do you think they will find their way out? Thanks again.

the equipment should all be fine. You might want to cut out the filter (this is basically working like a big pump, right? no media no cotton etc? if there's anything in this, it could be lending to the nitrate problem.) as with the 55 you'll want a little less water flow than in the 110 but you will want around 6-700 GPH.

I would think the snails should be fine. They live in the sand and can navigate without any issues. They'll know which way is up and should be able to get up to the surface easily enough.

In general, Nitrates are always the toughest to keep out of a tank. Have you tried any Nitrate Remover? Your LFS may cary some, you can try dropping that in the filter in a bag and see if that helps any over time. Just one last thought to try and help :wink:

Thanks BillyZ. My LFS sucks. They don't carry anything saltwater but food, salt and fish. I go to Baltimore (1.5hr drive) when I need anything real but I'll check into it. And yes, the filter is empty. It holds the heater and used for carbon from time to time. What size heater do you recommend? I keep spares so I might have something here. Thanks again.

Call me crazy, but since you have given up the tank already... I am completely surprised that you haven't seen an algea bloom or 2 with cyno bacteria blooms to boot. (Though 40ppm nitrate is considered high, its the high end of acceptable for FO) Also, get a second and third test kit to make sure your kit isn't g00bed up?
As for cutting down feedings. How often is 'cut down'? How much do you feed? frozen foods? Flake? Also, put some media in that, what was it an HOB filter with no media? Put some carbon in it, filter media good, no filter bad, filter media good, no filter bad...; ). Also, it may be useful to purchase some Nitrate and Phos sponges. Load em up and try it. I have a de-nitrator and it works well (You can probably find some DIY coil denitrators), mine keeps my tank at undetectable (Marineland) and I perfom 0, none, zilch, nadda water changes...ever. No detectable nitrates. Also, you mention you have 'some snails and hermits'. Got enough? 110G tank, you should have a boat load. I can attest to letting your clean up crew dwindle *will*, not might but *will* cause you issues. Also, 100lbs of LR..I prolly got that much in my 75G. LR is a large piece of the natural filtration process. You have to remember, that while you may not have this tank overstocked, it is a closed system and not having enough filtration can be just as big a porblem with 1 fish as with 20.
I am curious, you mention these fish and corals and that the tank is 2 yrs old..Have things been dying? Is there a reason your chasing this elusive lower nitrate level? Just asking, didn't see any info on it. Couple schools of thought if nothing else works. 1. there is a articel on instant nitrate reduction, never used it, if everything dies overnight as a result, you ate it. But heres the link..http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitratecontrol/l/aa091901.htm
2. If the Nitrates are running around 40ppm, then in theory your corals would already be showing signs of stress. (Less than 20ppm for inverts and such, some would say no more than 5ppm) Remember Algea consumes nitrates. Refugium maybe? Again, pointing to either a too shallow sand bed or just plain not enough LR for the 110G tank.
All in all, if your tank looks healthy, but shows this high nitrate level, maybe your test kit is b00bied. Maybe thats as good as it gets, but if the tanks happy, whats the point of knocking yourself out.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide.

GL

PS - Borrowed this from revhtree's tagline, look at the amount of LR and clean up crew. Also, he has some good pics of his sand bed in his gallery. Remember, his tank is 35G *smaller* than yours. GL
"75g Saltwater Reef Tank | 155pds of LR Gulf & Fiji | CC substrate with 2" sand on top | 460w pc | Tomato Clown | 2 Mated Percula Clowns | Royal Gramma | Yellow Tailed Damsel | Engineer Goby | 2 Serpant Starfish | 3 Peppermint Shrimp | Coral Banded Shrimp | 4 Rock/Flower Anemone | 1 Purple Tip Anemone | Flame Scallop | 30+ Hermit Crabs | 60+ Snails | Red Tree Sponge | Pulsating Xenia | Button Poylps | Zoos | Mushrooms | Cabbage Laether | 2 Finger Leather | Bubble Coral | Purple Gorgonia | Feather Dusters | Assorted Marine Plants"

I think what we are trying to say is that you should figure out what is going wrong in the 110 gallon before you go and downsize.

Otherwise your risking the same problems magnified in the smaller system.

Hey to make things really easy, check the following filter our, I have used everything in the market to get my Nitrates & Phosphates down to 0 and the only thing that did it and keeps it at those levels is this filter. Before this filter, I was doing water changes every week and was getting pissed since no results came from it, after this filter, I only change 20% of the water every 2 month's only for insurance. I have friends that haven't cleaned thier tanks for almost a year with this thing and have corals, inverts and sensitive fish in their tank. The key of this fliter, is that you have to weekly replenish the trace elements that are exhausted. THAT's IT.

http://natureef.com/denitro.htm

you can buy this filter in the following place.

http://poseidonsrealm.com/

Back
Top Bottom