Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you sure your nitrate test kit is accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you ever be sure

Thing is I've thrown some macros in there and they never grow or just die off. Even zoa's which supposedly like dirty water.
Like I said to I threw a purigen in there to see if that would show me anything and its still near New after many weeks. I would think if my trates and/or trites we're high that would show something.

Most of my corals look like crap now anyway fr multiple attempts to kill this alage so starting over might re enthuse me a bit. Just have to make a setup for my fish in the mean time or risk a quick swap with them when the new tank is up

Old 01-01-2018, 01:48 AM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I’ll challenge zoas liking dirty water. They can just be hardy.
The purigen acts similar to actives carbon. It won’t do anything towards nutrient issues.
I’d take that like this. Pull each rock out individually and scrub it down in a separate container. Once all the contaminated rocks are ‘algae free’ they can be replaced.
Follow this with two 50% water changes in a week.
This will remove the most amount of nutrients and algae in one swoop. Scrubbing the rock will also pull out any gunk that is decaying on the rocks that could be feeding the algae.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I’ll challenge zoas liking dirty water. They can just be hardy.
The purigen acts similar to actives carbon. It won’t do anything towards nutrient issues.
I’d take that like this. Pull each rock out individually and scrub it down in a separate container. Once all the contaminated rocks are ‘algae free’ they can be replaced.
Follow this with two 50% water changes in a week.
This will remove the most amount of nutrients and algae in one swoop. Scrubbing the rock will also pull out any gunk that is decaying on the rocks that could be feeding the algae.
I've actually taken the rocks that can come out multiple times for scrubbing. It's usually back full blast I'm a week.
I'm changing it all up anyway so it's gonna be a scratch start.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com