Important Re: 65 to 120 Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

thanks for all info on original thread. Its getting close to the time to pull the trigger on getting new gear and some new issues have arisen.

Originally I was going to merely transfer an established 2 Year 65 Gallon reef to a 120 with the same simple DSB, live rock and HOB skimmer method that had been so successful on the 1st tank.

The reputable Marine Biologist at the LFS (I trust and respect him) is advising that I upgrade to a reef-ready tank with a sump-refugium. He says this is much prefferable for larger volume tanks.

I always wanted to do this but $$$$-wise its a stretch for us. Also----use tap water.

Will my original idea work just fine, or will the benefits of the upgraded system be dramatic enough to make me glad I made the investment.

Im still a relative newbie with a very successful 2 year "dirty" type eco-system.

Please give me as much detailed description as you can tolerate. If my old simple set-up will be just fine I`d just as soon save the bucks and complication of the upgrade.

I gotta pull the trigger soon.

peace and thanks!

I have a refugium and I really like mine. 2 important things are added water volume and nutrient export. I think you would like it too.

I agree with Roka and Melosu.

The refugium is, IMO, one of the more important additions to your system you could make. I recently upgraded from a 72 to a 120. On my 72 system I had a 20g dedicated fuge. I use the same 20g dedicated fuge on the new 120 system. Your refugium should be about 10% of your display volume. Obiviously bigger is better. The more water volume and contact time your water has with the macro algae in the fuge the better nutirent export will be.

So to make a short explination longer I would say yes the upgrade is worth it and you will be glad you did it. Add the refugium to your system. You don't have to buy a fancy sump made of acrylic from your LFS to do it either.

I agree with Roka and Melosu.

So to make a short explination longer I would say yes the upgrade is worth it and you will be glad you did it. Add the refugium to your system. You don't have to buy a fancy sump made of acrylic from your LFS to do it either.

1) This is interesting to me. Are you saying I could get a "reef ready" tank and hook it up to the biggest refugium I can fit in the Cabinet and forego the sump?

This sounds like the most comfortable option for me.
I would be very happy not having to deal with a sump, bio-balls etc. I`m perfectly happy with the HOB Remora Skimmer Ive been using.

2) I already have a Remora skimmer rated for 70 gallons. Can I simply add another 70 Gal. skimmer to do the job, or do I need a higher rated skimmer?

3) One of my concerns withthe reef-ready tanks is that you lose animal habitat surface area (HSA?) with the overflow and plumbing partitions. About how much HSA do you lose on a 48" X 24" Reef-Ready Aquarium?

thanks a million,

Jawfishjunky.................

1) This is interesting to me. Are you saying I could get a "reef ready" tank and hook it up to the biggest refugium I can fit in the Cabinet and forego the sump?

This sounds like the most comfortable option for me.
I would be very happy not having to deal with a sump, bio-balls etc. I`m perfectly happy with the HOB Remora Skimmer Ive been using.

2) I already have a Remora skimmer rated for 70 gallons. Can I simply add another 70 Gal. skimmer to do the job, or do I need a higher rated skimmer?

3) One of my concerns withthe reef-ready tanks is that you lose animal habitat surface area (HSA?) with the overflow and plumbing partitions. About how much HSA do you lose on a 48" X 24" Reef-Ready Aquarium?

thanks a million,

Jawfishjunky.................

A refugium is a part of the under workings of the system. I would still have a sump (forget about the bio balls). Us another tank say a 20g tank as your sump to house your heater and your return pumps.

I would get a skimmer that is rated for your tank size. Look at the Octopus skimmers they are excellent and well priced.

As for the Overflows taking up space, yes they do but the benefits out weigh the negatives. RR tanks eliminate the need for hang on the back overflows and make for a neater looking setup. With a 120 (48x24x24) you aren't going to miss the space.

Thanks for your replies. In my "net surfing" Ive found the AquaFuge Refugium Pro which seems to be a sump with a built -in skimmer plus a lighted refugium all in one. As far as simplicity it seems like a good choice for me. Does anyone have experience with this product or know of a review or discussion link?

Suggestions on Sump and fuge products for my 120 Gallon needs are greatly appreciated.

J-Fish Junky

Looking at it, it looks nice, I would find out what kind of skimmer it has. From what I have read about skimmers is, you get what you pay for.....

Back
Top Bottom