In case anyone was wondering how fast some corals grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
Pulsing Xenia frag at the end of August:
PomPom1.jpg

6 weeks later, slight shift to the left and growing like a weed!
PomPom2.jpg

I got some xenia and some anthelia like that. I fragged the anthelia and had the frags in my display. After 2 weeks, they had attached themselves to the LR and when I moved them they tore. Now I have it everywhere.

I also have some xenia that is trying to surround some nice orance zoos. Crazy suckers :)

Mine grow like a weed aswell.

In Jan I got two small heads simular to the photos above. Here are two comparison photos.

Righthalf.sized.jpg

March

75Gal_Full_June04.sized.jpg

June

Note teh increase in xenia in the middle. I then fragged off 30 individual stalks and gave away.

Lighting: 4 X 110W VHO
Movement: Mag 7 with SQWD and 2 X Hagen 802

fishfreek, very nice tank. I'm wondering where you keep your Ca level and how do you achieve this.

They are in a moderate water flow area. When I say moderate I am talking about a place where they heads will sway in the current basicliy all the time. They are not in a jet stream but will move back and forth like a tree would in a nice evening breeze.

Remember these guys are filterfeeders as much as they are photosynthetic.

My calcium levels I must admit I dont have a firm grasp on because my calcium kit got damaged a while back with mosture seeping in and I have yet to replace it. I do dose with kalk via my auto top off.

In the 9 months I've had mine, they've probably increased in size 20 fold. Seems like every 2 weeks now, I'm fragging 3-4 pcs and taking them to either of 2 local LFS. 6 days with a rubber band and they taken to the new rock already. They are in mild, moderate, and kinda heavy flow areas and doing well in all places. I've even seen small, single polyps on rocks in the lower part of my tank. Uh, oh. I've even cut one - like a hair cut, and left some "jelly frag" on a rock - as opposed to slicing a branch off. Now I've got a mini "afro" xenia growing, 1/2 inch tall. There's no stopping that stuff.

Borneman notes that there is prolific growth of xenia and other family members around the effluent discharge of hotels and sewage pipes on near shore reefs. Hmmm...

Got PCs w/twin 65w on 11 hrs. And the 65W blue (actinic, right?). Not dosing a lot either.

ClamKnuckle said:
What type of light and water flow do you have them under to get them to take off like that?

3 PH's on a wavemaker, I'd call it moderate flow. (2) 96w 10K daylights on about 10 hours a day, (2) 96w Actinics on about 14 hours a day. Al PowerCompacts.

I dose 10ml of ESV Bionic 2 part every other day and thats it.

Back
Top Bottom