Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

In sump heater

Hello I have a 225 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. SUmp measures 40l x13w x14 tall.

I am wondering what kind of heater(s) I can use in the sump and how do I install them. Does the whole thing need to be submerged. I was looking at the Jager TS but couldn't find that info.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The website I checked says that heater is submersible. The general rule is 2.5W of heater per gal of water. Other factors to include though is how much heat your lighting will introduce as how much heat your pump might introduce.

I would go with a pair of 250W heaters. This would give you just under the 2.5W per gal and if you you have MH lighting then you will have heat comming off of those aswell to warm the water.

I would just lay them in the sump horizonal. No need for them to be veritcal or anything.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, my sump wont fit them horizontal so I amy have to get like 4 of the smaller ones.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You can always go at a diagonal.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

True. I will cut a piece of 1 "pvc the length of the 250 watt and see if I can fit it in. Thanks for the response.

Tags
eat, eater, heater, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com