In Sump Pumps w/o Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I've quickly discovered my mag drive is just too darn hot. It's jacking up the temp to about 82, and that's a little on the warm side. Anyone use an in-sump pump that doesn't throw off so much heat?

I believe you're going to find that all submersible pumps generate a good bit of heat. The larger the pump, the more heat it'll make...I'm sure you were able to make that deduction for yourself though :) . Since they are all basically the same design, I'm thinking they will all give off about the same amount of heat for a given pump size. The best option, if you can do it, is to go to an external pump such as a Blueline, Iwaki, or Little Giant. I've used all three and I think the Blueline offers the best value. Another possible option might be one of the thermoelectric chillers. JMHO.

From your LR post, I see you have glass tops on the tank. Remove them, the temp should drop a couple of degrees ;)

I don't like the idea of open tanks below light fixtures (paranoia), but I did remove the lid from my sump and it has cooled some.

look into the Dolphin Amp Master series ... at between 75-150 watts, they are some of the lowest energy consuming pumps I've found in my research, given that the massive water volume moved at rather low flow rates (1.5" inlet and outlet!)

I will do that. I've removed the plastic strips on the back of my glass tops which opens the tops up about 1.5" on each side and it has lowered to 81.5 so far.

Just for kicks, 82* is an excellent temp.... I currently keep mine at 84*.... :D

I'm shooting for 80 b/c that's what I've read, is 82 also acceptable? I've got it down to 81.4 so far, and dropping slowly. Damn slow exothermic process.

I'm down to 80.8 by just opening the backs of the tops up and cracking the doors in the stand for the sump. I'm going to go and buy exhaust fans (black to match the stand) and install them in the side of the stand.

If your not handy enough to manipulate cutouts in your cabinet for 4" exhaust fans, then do what I do in the summer time: bought one of those 6" clip on plastic fans from walgreen or walmart and clipped it to the underside of the cabinet frame where the two doors meet. This also keeps the door ajar about an inch or two without having to leave the doors wide open for circulation. Just point the fan to an opening in your sump where the water is flowing.

Back
Top Bottom