In-Tank Fuge???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumphead

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Biggen got me started on a new store "Inland Aquatics" which is only about an hour away from me. I'll go check them out on Thursday. But on the website they have an in-tank refugium. Anyone ever heard of this? I would consider building one if I knew it was effective and didn't deminish my lighting. Any thoughts??

TIA - Ronnie

Yes I've heard of them, from what I understand the intank fuge would go in the bottom corner of the tank, in back maybe. The problem I see with them is maintenance. I think you would be happier with the size and easier maintenance of a HOB fuge or a sump/fuge.

Actually this one hangs on the back inside the tank and is fed with a small pump and placed just above the waterline for an overflow return. Simple enough. The problems I have been running into while I measure and do the math (man I hate he math) is it has to be small (not too tall) so not to eat up my tank. Not so deep also not to eat up my tank and steal all my lighting. I have a 72ga bow that is 48" wide and going 4" front to back 8.5" deep and 45" long I run into the problem that the capacity is not more than 6 gallons. also if I run one long one I have a problem with the crossbar support on the tank. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

Well, my philosophy is...even a small fuge is better than no fuge ;) You might lookinto the CPR HOB fuges, they will be undersized for your system, but it's better than nothing. If your good working with acrylic, you could DIY one, I'm sure you can get the jist by looking at pics of the CPR unit and the DIYers would certainly have some input ;)

Thanks reef. I may just do that. It's just that as a psuedo DIYer I am always looking for something unique and stand alone. I also really want a clean tank (both inside and out) the fewer wires hang on equipment and hosed the better. Sump is probably the way to go, But I'll never give up!

IMO, the "cleanest" most organized tanks are drilled tanks with sumps...all equipment in the sump, the drain and return lines stay inside the tank (and stand) the only thing hanging off the back of the tank is the corad for the lights ;)

Back
Top Bottom