In the market for new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jose7878

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It time to get a few fish in my tank I'm gonna get a few Bartlett Anthias , powder blue tang , yellow wrasse , Labout 's fairy wrasse and emperor angelfish.
Now I know all are reef safe except the Emperor he's a reef caution fish.
Now my question is. Has anyone owned a emperor in a reef tank with success?

An emperor is sort of reef safe, but they get huge. I wouldn't put 1 in a 150 (which has the same footprint as a 125, just taller).

Here's 1 in a 225g reef tank.
img_2288717_0_deb8bbd450cb48d3693a0d07a7f6a737.jpg

Junior's Reef - Reef Central Online Community

Emperor Angelfish development pix

Just a heads up on the powder blue as well. They are one of the most aggressive tangs and can make life difficult for other fish in the tank. It's not impossible, but I've read from a certain member that he wouldn't even keep one in his 300.

I agree with the Piwder Blue caution. They will almost always get aggressive as they mature.

I always thought that Emperors were not reef safe. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I'm not one for taking chances on expensive fish surrounded by expensive corals.

I agree with the Piwder Blue caution. They will almost always get aggressive as they mature.

I always thought that Emperors were not reef safe. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I'm not one for taking chances on expensive fish surrounded by expensive corals.

PB tang was x'ed off the list

Ordered my new additions for the tank from Live Aquaria yesterday. Should be here sat by 1:30pm. Yay

Here's the list

1-Yellow Wrasse
2-Bartlett's Anthias
1-Naso Tang
2-Maldives Lyretail Anthias
1-Juvenile Emperor Angelfish ( I know , I know )

Pics will follow as soon as their acclimated.

Next purchase will be a small or med Regal Angelfish

Let me know how live aquaria is. I want to order fish in the future but I don't know the best site to order from

How many fish do you already have? And how long has the tank been set up? Just curious because you're adding a large load at once.

Let me know how live aquaria is. I want to order fish in the future but I don't know the best site to order from

Liveaquaria is the most popular. Never ordered fish online, but they have a 14 day guarantee, great customer service, and great livestock from what I've read.

i have ordered from live aquaria a couple of times. they are great to deal with. if the fish die or arrive dead they just credit your account. You dont have to send the dead fish back no questions are asked.

i have ordered from live aquaria a couple of times. they are great to deal with. if the fish die or arrive dead they just credit your account. You dont have to send the dead fish back no questions are asked.

That's good to hear.

I only have 4 fishes as of right now.
Tank has been setup for a yr.

Oh okay. I just have read you could experience an ammonia spike by adding too many fish at once. Being that your tanks are linked together, hopefully you'll be okay. I would just monitor parameters closely.

Oh okay. I just have read you could experience an ammonia spike by adding too many fish at once. Being that your tanks are linked together, hopefully you'll be okay. I would just monitor parameters closely.

Hopefully not their all gonna be small fishes except the naso and the emperor.

Yeah, just watch those parameters . Doubling your bioload has got to cause something to happen. Your BB can't be enough to immediately handle that kind of increase, I'm down to two Chromis and my LFS said to go up slowly to allow BB time to increase with the bioload, i absolutely sgree. I'm getting another Foxface soon and gonna add a new fish about every 3 weeks after.

That Emperor isn't gonna do well in a 120g. If you've ever seen a fully grown one, you'd understand. They get big and thick and even look out of place in a 180g, IMO. Had one in a 300g years ago and that was probably enough space, but barely with all the other fish.

Thanx Todd I will definitely keep my eye on parameters. As for the emperor I know he will get huge that's why I got the juvenile but it will be sometime before he'll outgrow my tank.

Back
Top Bottom