Increasing Flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JsQuid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey you all, I'm thinking of maybe increasing the flow in my tank. As of now, I only have a Y loc line return. It's attached to a mag 7, wide open with only about 2.5 head. There is adequate surface agitation and good flow I assume. The aquarium is a 40 breeder. I would like to maybe increase the flow, or is this enough flow? I was considering adding 1 750 Koralia to opposite side of the loc line? Or maybe just add a 425 to the opposite side? If you all have any additional questions, please ask and I will answer! Thanks, Jesse

image-2661964340.jpg

What are you trying to do with this tank? From the lights, I'm assuming you are wanting to have a reef with LPS corals... If this is the case I would def increase flow. A 750 would do well in a 40 breeder to start out and gauge how things are.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it's 1 inch flex tubing for return. No bends, just straight up. Also, I'm thinking of a mixed reef. As of now, I have a green bubble too Anemone, 1 open brain, Favia, and 8-10 heads of candy coral.

It's a t5 HO 4 bulb fixture... If that helps any.

I'll chime in and say yep, a 750/850 would be a good idea. You can go from there as to whether or not you want to add even another powerhead.

Okay cool. I'll go ahead & order one tonight. Once received, should I point it up toward surface or toward rocks?

I have all my power heads pointed up. Your return is pointed at the rocks. You can put the new power head low on the glass and point it up to get the rocks and surface. Should randomize the flow some too.

Definitely will give it a try. I already placed the order, should be in around the 3rd of December. Already exciting.

Back
Top Bottom