indirect sunlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inspire0522

Aquarium Advice Regular
does indirect sunlight count? I mean i notice when i open my blinds around 12:00pm my fish "wakes up". I turn my tank light on at 3:00pm - 11:00pm thats 8hrs. Would the sunlight count as extra light, as far as time goes? I don't want to "bug" out the fish or add to any unwanted algae growth.

If the aquarium receives direct, or bright indirect natural sunlight from a nearby window, draw the blinds or move the aquarium! Long hours of sunlight will induce algae, something you do not want if you wish to keep your aquarium beautiful.

fji258 said:
If the aquarium receives direct, or bright indirect natural sunlight from a nearby window, draw the blinds or move the aquarium! Long hours of sunlight will induce algae, something you do not want if you wish to keep your aquarium beautiful.
i can personnaly verify that direct sunlight for even an hour or two a day will have an impact on your algea levels. my tank sits in such a place that the transom windows (small windows above the main window) on the opposite wall let direct sunlight hit the tank for about 1-2 hours a day... i added some closed cell blinds and problem solved. im sure an interior decorator would slap me in the back of the head for putting blinds in a transom window, but it keeps the tank cleaner with the sunlight blocked...

~mike

Back
Top Bottom