Inexpensive alternative for reef lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will this work for a combo tank

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mjvincent

Aquarium Advice Freak
I
I was trying to figure out what to do about lighting (I don't have alot of money to spend). So I went to my local home depot and bought a grow light spot light that you can hang on the wall. I took the incandescent light out of the fixture and then I found a daylight fluorescent bulb rated at 75 watts (I believe that the light is rated at 6700k). I also am using the strip light on top of the tank (a 50/50 bulb which I think is around 18 watts). I have a 32 gallon oceanic hex and the spot light is at the side of the tank about 4-5 inches away pointed at the side, so if I ever get an anenomie it might like the more intense lighting there.

What do you think?

I am a bit skeptical about the set-up. With the NO lights on top and your other light (can't really picture it) coming through the glass on the side, you are still not really getting any good penetration into the tank. the glass does limit the ability ofthe light to pentrate into the tank. If you want to have corals and an anemone, I would reccommend a singe 150-175watt MH pendant light over the tank.

I say no. First off, I'm positive the bulb you bought is 'the equivalent of a 75watt incandescent bulb'...meaning its probably about 18-20watts of power consumption.
While much brighter than a normal incandescent, it's not going to even come close to enough for an anemone.

Lighting is simply never cheap if you go with a full reef tank.

PC lighting is simply getting so cheap on Ebay that "most" people can afford at least a minimum of lighting for a sw setup. I got my pc 24" 2X65w for less than 50 bucks on ebay. It is a lower end Jebo but has got to be better than what your are talking about. (On my 20g not on my 90G)

Hex tanks are notorisly tall for their size and thus the lights will have a long ways to penitrate to get to the bottom of the tank. NO bulbs while we think they put out a fair amount of light they are no where close to the output of other lighting alternitives like VHO, T5, PC or MH.

I would go with a MH pendent. You can get a 250 or 175 watt Electronic ballast setup for under 200 bucks and it would be plenty of light. You would be able to keep anything in you tank.

The tank is in a corner in the bedroom, the light is to the side of the tank and less 6 inches from the tank near the rock in the tank. The bulb is equivalent of 75 watts (1100 lumen) and 6500 k bulb. I would think the lumen would be more relevant when it came to fluorescent bulbs since they put off so much more light in comparison to its energy consumption. I will probably hold off on anenomies for a while anyway, but might try some soft corals close to this light source and see how it reacts. The problem with my hex is it's diameter which is 17.5 inches. I can see maybe putting a 20 inch pc on there but that would limit my options. Where can I find a MH for under $200? Sound good to me...

And if you really insist on cheap - www.aquaticlight.com $75 mh kit (gives you a 4300k bulb and no reflector, but you can get a 10000k later) - several people on this site give it a good word...

OK, found a CURRENT 40w 20" SATELLITE AQUARIUM STRIP LIGHT REEF RD (Current USA Satellite SunPaq Strips feature a unique 10,000k Daylight & 460nm Actinic bulb combo paired with LED lunar lights) pretty cheap and with my 75 watt (equivalent 1100 lumens) daylight (6500k) light I think I might be in line with your (forums) parameters for setting up a reef style tank... What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom