Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Will this work for a combo tank
Yes 0 0%
No 12 100.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Inexpensive alternative for reef lighting?

I
I was trying to figure out what to do about lighting (I don't have alot of money to spend). So I went to my local home depot and bought a grow light spot light that you can hang on the wall. I took the incandescent light out of the fixture and then I found a daylight fluorescent bulb rated at 75 watts (I believe that the light is rated at 6700k). I also am using the strip light on top of the tank (a 50/50 bulb which I think is around 18 watts). I have a 32 gallon oceanic hex and the spot light is at the side of the tank about 4-5 inches away pointed at the side, so if I ever get an anenomie it might like the more intense lighting there.

What do you think?

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am a bit skeptical about the set-up. With the NO lights on top and your other light (can't really picture it) coming through the glass on the side, you are still not really getting any good penetration into the tank. the glass does limit the ability ofthe light to pentrate into the tank. If you want to have corals and an anemone, I would reccommend a singe 150-175watt MH pendant light over the tank.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I say no. First off, I'm positive the bulb you bought is 'the equivalent of a 75watt incandescent bulb'...meaning its probably about 18-20watts of power consumption.
While much brighter than a normal incandescent, it's not going to even come close to enough for an anemone.

Lighting is simply never cheap if you go with a full reef tank.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

PC lighting is simply getting so cheap on Ebay that "most" people can afford at least a minimum of lighting for a sw setup. I got my pc 24" 2X65w for less than 50 bucks on ebay. It is a lower end Jebo but has got to be better than what your are talking about. (On my 20g not on my 90G)
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Hex tanks are notorisly tall for their size and thus the lights will have a long ways to penitrate to get to the bottom of the tank. NO bulbs while we think they put out a fair amount of light they are no where close to the output of other lighting alternitives like VHO, T5, PC or MH.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Good idea, just ain't gonna work
PC or MH is what you need...
Look at ebay...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would go with a MH pendent. You can get a 250 or 175 watt Electronic ballast setup for under 200 bucks and it would be plenty of light. You would be able to keep anything in you tank.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
The tank is in a corner in the bedroom, the light is to the side of the tank and less 6 inches from the tank near the rock in the tank. The bulb is equivalent of 75 watts (1100 lumen) and 6500 k bulb. I would think the lumen would be more relevant when it came to fluorescent bulbs since they put off so much more light in comparison to its energy consumption. I will probably hold off on anenomies for a while anyway, but might try some soft corals close to this light source and see how it reacts. The problem with my hex is it's diameter which is 17.5 inches. I can see maybe putting a 20 inch pc on there but that would limit my options. Where can I find a MH for under $200? Sound good to me...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Where can I find a MH for under $200? Sound good to me...
www.captivereefs.com
Old 02-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also EVC, which have turned out to be great ballast and bulbs. www.oceanencounter.com. They have an excellent PAR rating and they have a complete retro for well under 200. 159 for a 250 watt bulb

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=EVMHR

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com