Infamous Domino Damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugeyefireguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I acquired a domino damsel from a friend who is getting out the hobby. Its still very small at less than 2" and was wondering if; given this guys size would it be hazardous to put it in my 55 gallon reef with my Occ. Clowns? They are much bigger than this damsel and I figured since its smaller AND the new guy it would not harass the clowns at all. I have no experience with these fish and the research comes up hit or miss. I assume it would depend on the individual fish and sounds like if its kept with bigger tank mates odds are it would do fine. If anything I'll trade him in, I just wanted to avoid that if possible. Thanks

Damsels will very often cause problems. There is no guarantee though. They are buggers to get out though, so unless you absolutely love it, I would pass.

dominos are supposed to be some of the worst too. Can't say from experience. I have a YT damsel who is no problem, but they are not supposed to be as aggressive as most damsels.

Since clowns are essentially damsels as well and can be every bit as aggressive, I would think it's okay. Just remember that when adding more passive fish, there will be problems.

Thanks guys I think I'll skip adding him to my display. For now I think he would be ok but once he/she reaches full size that may change so I'm not going to risk it. I'll find a good home for him I'm sure, if all else fails a fowlr tank for him would doable once petco has their $1 per gallon sale.

a single damsel would most likely stick to itself
they get bolder in groups
I hate damsels as they are little demons but have had my share of them over the years
I found if you only get 1 of each type they are less likely to pair up , but that's also no guarantee
unless the tank is just damsels avoid them
they are not worth the aggravation
and yes these little demons are fast so catching them is almost impossible with out tearing apart your tank

I would NEVER add any damsel to any tank, unless the fish in the tank were large enough to consider it food. I've had too many heartbreaks watching them torture fish to death, while being unable to catch them. I once broke down the entire tank and removed all rock. No damsel. Then put the rock back in the tank and boom...out it emerged. They are satans imps....if there were such a thing.

I have 5 yellow tails for the past decade, they are among the smallest fish in the reef and have been taught manners by fish meaner than themselves. That said, they are colorful and easy to raise. :)

I have 5 yellow tails for the past decade, they are among the smallest fish in the reef and have been taught manners by fish meaner than themselves. That said, they are colorful and easy to raise. :)

My yellow tail is perhaps the most timid fish I've owned, although this is only ONE fish, so I couldn't call that evidence.

See I wish I could add him, his active and would be the only damsel per say other than the clowns. Since they are bigger and there is plenty of room there's a shot things will work out. However, this fish will get bigger than my clowns in the end and I don't want to risk issues later on. I just don't want to subject this little guy to going to the lfs when I know I can give him a good home. I'll just keep him isolated in his own tank. It's occupying my qt tank at the moment which prompted me asking the original question.

I have to admit, the two meanest fish I have ever had was a 3" domino and a 4" tomato clown. My clown tang is rapidly moving up though.

Something I have never seen anyone try to raise (for good reason probably) is the super damsel fish, the Sergeant Major.

Last edited:
Yes me too I had the Sam thing and my toamtoe close literally killed two fish

screw domino damsels. i had 2 that were roughly 4-5 inches that came with my tnak when i first bought it. . . i spent 2 hours tearing down the tank and removing them after i watched them incessantly nag my other fish

screw domino damsels. i had 2 that were roughly 4-5 inches that came with my tnak when i first bought it. . . i spent 2 hours tearing down the tank and removing them after i watched them incessantly nag my other fish

So I guess you don't like them? ;)
Mine would turn almost black when he got mad. And he was mad most of the time.

I have 3 dominoes I just added in my 55 with one big clown n small one .. Also two chromis .. My clowns let them know who's boss so if anything clowns are more likely to pick on dominoes

no Greg, i def dont harbor any nice feelings for them lol.

Certain varieties of clowns can be crazy aggressive for sure.

its funny you mention this, i had a fairly full-grown Gold-stripe maroon that those 2 dominos wouldnt even touch. heck the maroon would steal food from them.

oh did i mention i had 2 juvenile kupang damsels and one incessantly tail slapped the fuzzy dwarf lion?

Back
Top Bottom