info on a sixline wrasse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
i went to the lfs today and really liked the sixlined wrasse that they have there...i just wanted to know if u guys think they are easy to care for and would do well with a beginner and in my tank? also what do u guys prefer feeding them and are they pretty hardy...i dont have any fish right now but my tank has been cycled for 3 months how and i have a great pod population...right now i have formula one flake food...what else should i get for this guy....thanks :)

Sixline Wrasse's are a great reef fish but will eventually kill your cleaner shrimp. That's why I haven't got one :(

my 6line isn't aggressive at all. wrasse's are omnivores, so in addition to formula1, you should feed mysis shrimp.

I would definitely consider the sixline an aggressive fish.. mine eats pretty much anything though.

As with all wrasses theres always the risk of carpet-surfing too.

my six-line is sometimes shy, aggressive to new comers at first, but always settles down later.

mine doesn't bother the shrimps.

well i just picked one up then i read this post. i have a cleaner also, which i love, so i hope nothing happens to him! i'll have to keep an eye out .

should i get some frozen mysis for him or dried?...will he eat the formula one flakes? and are they easy to keep alive...i think if i can feed him well that he will leave my shrimp alone...unless he grows very fast...his tank mates will be bigger than him when i purchase them...i just fell in love with this fish when i saw it and really want one...i also read they will graze on my lr...will they kill my pod population?

I have a 6 Line and he is cool.

I feed him frozen mysis and some bryne shrimp.
He gets along with everyone in my tank and is always busy in and out of the LR.
He loves to pick at the LR

Carpet Surfing = Jumping out of the tank so make sure you have a top.

Jumping out of the tank on to the carpet. LOL.

What about canary/yellow wrasses? Are they aggressive?

seafan said:
What about canary/yellow wrasses? Are they aggressive?
Not as a rule. The smaller growing wrasses of Halichoeres sp are usually quite docile and get along well with other fish and inverts. Decorative shrimp and crabs can still be a concern though. I find if the mobile inverts are added before the wrasse it will usually (but not always) leave the inverts be. Do not purchase adults wrasses though, be sure it is just at the beginning stages of the adult change for best results (about 2"). I have had the same success with Coris sp wrasses.

The larger growing wrasses from the Halichoeres sp would without a doubt eat the mobile inverts including snails.

Cheers
Steve

Duh, that makes sense! I'm a complete Marine newbie, so give me some slack! For some reason(dont ask!) I thought it was something maybe that he would swim across a carpet anemone and get eaten.

just an update...my wrasse is in the tank and doing great! he is constantly on the move for food and eats the flakes and mysis like a little hog!...it is an absolutely beautiful fish

crage34 said:
just an update...my wrasse is in the tank and doing great! he is constantly on the move for food and eats the flakes and mysis like a little hog!...it is an absolutely beautiful fish

Cool. I am really thinking of trading in my Cleaner Shrimp for one.

oh, i love my cleaner shrimp alot too...they are both very fun to watch and have alot of character

I have been thinking about adding a six line to my tank as well.....I have heard that they will eat red flatworms.....is this true??? I have a bad flat worm problem and would like something that can help control them.....I treated the tank once with "flatworm exit" but they were back in force within a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom