Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2004, 04:09 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Jim if you take the rios apart and clean them they might get quiter.

For powerhead style rio's i like to say use Maxijet instead.

For pump size rio's i say use Mag instead.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I forgot to mention, they're new. I replaced them with maxijet 1200's which are much, much quieter.

Jim

Old 03-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i just got a hob fug setup with a small rio pump i can hear it all night! time to get a new pump huh!
Old 03-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
what your hearing is the acutal magnet inside banging aganst the unit itself as it spins. Obviously that cant be good for the overall life of the unit.

IMO you will be better off finding an equivlent flow rating maxijet or hagen powerhead.

I got some Hagen 802 powerheads in my 80 and they are fabiouls. They are rated for something like 495GPH each.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:33 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggiestyle
thanks mark. thanks gauge. im currently using a mag 9.5 but am getting another pump for a new skimmer. someone on this site recomended the rio for the skimmer. i may use a blue line instead of a mag. id like to mount the whole apperatus outside of the sump.
Bluelines are top quality...as good as Iwaki IMO. I agree that the Rio pumps aren't much good. They have a new line of pumps out and I don't know much about them...anything would be an improvement though. I refuse to even sell Rio pumps on my site. For a submersible, you can't go wrong with either Mag Drive or Dolphin. JMHO.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

logan can you get me the external dimensions of the blue line 20hd?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I think so...let me see what I can come up with and I'll get back to you.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
hmm i was under the impression that rio were ok pump. i got mine for $44 and it is a 2500 hh it pumps a lot of water and have not had any problems with it yet. but i have only had it for a week. but for noise it is not all that loud. it is not much louder then the cap 1200 i had before.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rio RVT

I've got a Rio 600RVT, which I ended up with because I don't know of any other RVT style. I use it to suck any stay air out of the CPR siphon. If the Rio isn't going to last...does anyone know of an RVT style replacement powerhead?

If I go with a non-RVT, I might have to get a VERY large powerhead that will push too much water for my small tank.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:19 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Douggiestyle,
The 20HD is 8" long, 4" wide, and 4" high. It has a 3/4 MPT inlet and outlet. It draws 45 watts of power.

Brad,
Looks like the Rio 200 is rated at 138 gph. I'm thinking a Maxi Jet 600 with a venturi attachment (Premium Aquatics) would get the job done. It's rated at 160 gph. I know an MJ900 (230 gph) would do it. I'm pretty sure, with the 900, you wouldn't even have to get the venturi attachment. You could connect the airline right to the outflow on the powerhead with the included attachments. I have a small skimmer that came with a Rio 200. I got an extra 200 with it (all used to be fair about it). Neither of the Rios would run for more than about 15 minutes...I ended up installing an MJ900 with the venturi attachment and haven't had a problem since.

Tags
pumps, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com