info on rio pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
im trying to find a page on rio pumps specifically the 2100.
size
minimum water depth.
etc.

thanks

thanks fish freak i forgot about logans store. i am going to give him some business

oh really, why is that?
what is your impression of mag drives
Rio pumps are not repairable. There is a plastic sleeve on the pump shaft that once worn out (egg shaped), the pump is ruined - it will not restart . Rio pumps are not recommended for intermittant duty as in a wave maker or used with a timer to provide random flow patterns. Rio's are cheaper for a reason - they are of lower quality.

Magdrive pumps are top quality.

thanks mark. thanks gauge. im currently using a mag 9.5 but am getting another pump for a new skimmer. someone on this site recomended the rio for the skimmer. i may use a blue line instead of a mag. id like to mount the whole apperatus outside of the sump.

Jim if you take the rios apart and clean them they might get quiter.

For powerhead style rio's i like to say use Maxijet instead.

For pump size rio's i say use Mag instead.

what your hearing is the acutal magnet inside banging aganst the unit itself as it spins. Obviously that cant be good for the overall life of the unit.

IMO you will be better off finding an equivlent flow rating maxijet or hagen powerhead.

I got some Hagen 802 powerheads in my 80 and they are fabiouls. They are rated for something like 495GPH each.

douggiestyle said:
thanks mark. thanks gauge. im currently using a mag 9.5 but am getting another pump for a new skimmer. someone on this site recomended the rio for the skimmer. i may use a blue line instead of a mag. id like to mount the whole apperatus outside of the sump.

Bluelines are top quality...as good as Iwaki IMO. I agree that the Rio pumps aren't much good. They have a new line of pumps out and I don't know much about them...anything would be an improvement though. I refuse to even sell Rio pumps on my site. For a submersible, you can't go wrong with either Mag Drive or Dolphin. JMHO.

hmm i was under the impression that rio were ok pump. i got mine for $44 and it is a 2500 hh it pumps a lot of water and have not had any problems with it yet. but i have only had it for a week. but for noise it is not all that loud. it is not much louder then the cap 1200 i had before.

Rio RVT

I've got a Rio 600RVT, which I ended up with because I don't know of any other RVT style. I use it to suck any stay air out of the CPR siphon. If the Rio isn't going to last...does anyone know of an RVT style replacement powerhead?

If I go with a non-RVT, I might have to get a VERY large powerhead that will push too much water for my small tank.

Douggiestyle,
The 20HD is 8" long, 4" wide, and 4" high. It has a 3/4 MPT inlet and outlet. It draws 45 watts of power.

Brad,
Looks like the Rio 200 is rated at 138 gph. I'm thinking a Maxi Jet 600 with a venturi attachment (Premium Aquatics) would get the job done. It's rated at 160 gph. I know an MJ900 (230 gph) would do it. I'm pretty sure, with the 900, you wouldn't even have to get the venturi attachment. You could connect the airline right to the outflow on the powerhead with the included attachments. I have a small skimmer that came with a Rio 200. I got an extra 200 with it (all used to be fair about it). Neither of the Rios would run for more than about 15 minutes...I ended up installing an MJ900 with the venturi attachment and haven't had a problem since.

Back
Top Bottom