Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Information on Snowflake Moray Eels

Hey, I think most of you recognize me as the extreme beginner to SW. I recently found a Snowflake Moray Eel, and the site SAID it was for beginners. What are his basic needs?

P.S. I am also actively researching this fish, so don't criticize me for only asking here...

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please, look on this site before posting a thread. I just responded to a similar thread that contains all the information you need to know. It is called snowflake mory eels just like your thread. And if your tank isnt a 50 or up i would stop researching the fish

Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is a 55 gallon tank. That thread was great but how much live rock do I have to add? HOw do you secure the lid so he doesn't escape? What are the foods that he has to eat?

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They need alot of rock so go with 60-70 or so pounds of rock. As long as the lid covers the whole top i dont think the eel will be able to get out. You could make it harder to get out by placing things on top, just dont have any openings. They will eat alot of differant foods. Silverslides, worms etc. If you would like to get small fish you cant get the eel. If you would like to buy inverts you cant get the eel, if you would like it to be a reef tank with corals, you cant get the eel.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

They are excellent escape artist so you`ll need a tight fitting lid. They love to eat shrimp. I would always buy some raw shrimp from the grocery store and cut it in thirds and feed them. Here was mine as he died a year or two back.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have mine in a 55 gallon reef he does well make sure hesfed I usetongs to get it to him so I know he's eating
Old 03-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
If you would like to get small fish you cant get the eel. If you would like to buy inverts you cant get the eel, if you would like it to be a reef tank with corals, you cant get the eel.
I do not agree with what Nu Nu says here. I have a snowflake and he is the most gentle creature I have ever had in my tank. He never bothers any of my other fish (the majority of which are tiny compared to him and smaller than his mouth), he has harmed not one of my more than 70 different coral, and all of my crabs are untouched. I feed him every 3-4 days about 3-4 silversides. Couldn't be happier.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
If you would like to get small fish you cant get the eel. If you would like to buy inverts you cant get the eel, if you would like it to be a reef tank with corals, you cant get the eel.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to correct you on this. A well-fed Snowflake will not go after other fish, nor will they harm immobile invertebrates (corals, clams, feather dusters, etc.) They will go after motile invertebrates like shrimp, but they will leave pretty much everything else alone. The only issue with keeping a moray in a reef is the amount of waste they produce, and Snowflake eels produce only a miniscule amount compared with bigger fish like groupers or even other morays. That being said, you're spot-on about having a tight-fitting cover for the aquarium. You'd be surprised what size hole they can get out of.

Try to give him as varied a diet as possible; never stick to just one food source like silversides or shrimp. Mine have always received a diet of shrimp, fish, clam, squid and crab. You can feed them feeder fish on the end of tongs, but I would highly recommend against it due to the lack of nutrition in feeder fish. These eels take readily to prepared meaty foods, so feeding them live foods should never need to be an option.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWonderfulWub
Sorry, but I'm going to have to correct you on this. A well-fed Snowflake will not go after other fish, nor will they harm immobile invertebrates (corals, clams, feather dusters, etc.) They will go after motile invertebrates like shrimp, but they will leave pretty much everything else alone. The only issue with keeping a moray in a reef is the amount of waste they produce, and Snowflake eels produce only a miniscule amount compared with bigger fish like groupers or even other morays. That being said, you're spot-on about having a tight-fitting cover for the aquarium. You'd be surprised what size hole they can get out of.

Try to give him as varied a diet as possible; never stick to just one food source like silversides or shrimp. Mine have always received a diet of shrimp, fish, clam, squid and crab. You can feed them feeder fish on the end of tongs, but I would highly recommend against it due to the lack of nutrition in feeder fish. These eels take readily to prepared meaty foods, so feeding them live foods should never need to be an option.
We will just have to agree to disagree. There are many stories of snowflake eels going after fish. Clowns, gobys, firefish are prey just to name a few. Shrimp will get eaten, and the eel will knock over the corals and stuff. They are very agressive fish
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have kept many morays and have worked with them in the wild. They are a carnivorous predator, all of them. Yes, you can keep a fat and happy one, but I guarantee he is capable of eating anything he can tear up. They are remarkable fish and worth keeping in a tank designed for them and other predators. My favorite snowflake died after jumping so hard he tore the tank top off. They are amazingly strong and just get stronger as they get bigger.

Tags
eel, eels, flake, moray, snowflake

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com