Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

!@#$ing microbubbles

I know i have asked this before but in my tank I run 2 (hot)magnums for water movement and carbon. Well they both seem to blow microbubbles also a power head with no way to get air?
I have replaced seals and used crisco packed into any possible air suction then I even wrapped all possibilitys with electrical tape.
They still blow micro's about 1 time an hour for about 1 min. Now I know for a fact that it is not my seals especialy because of the maxi-jet that is to old for air intake that also does this. Is this a problem with some kind of algae that I can't see or clean out? Could this be related to my atnic lighting at night, it seems to be worse at night when they are on?

I just don't get it please help

Old 01-14-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Possibly you just need to turn them down a bit-if they are adjustable. I had a powerhead that did that also, just turned it down, and for some reason-I don't know why-it doesn't do it anymore.

Stacy

Old 01-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive always wondered that my self i have a few maxi-jets and one spits air out from time to time and its underwater ?!?!? were the air comes from i have no idea !?!?
Old 01-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
On the power head while its under water tip it side to side and front to back a little. Often times air will collect in the impeller area while its being lowered into the tank. This will clear it of air but honestly the air should not come back. If teh PH is just below the surface then it could be causing a mini cyclone just above the air outlet and cause air to be pulled in that way.

The same for the hot magnums. If you gently tilt them side to side while they are running it should help remove any air pockets that might be int it.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

which makes sense but this not the case hehehe i have the power head sitting sideways as it is and way below the surface and running for months and still like every hour or so it burps air !!! id almost think that the power cord is allowing air thru it which if so then id be getting shocked for sure hehehe
Old 01-14-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Do you think it could be cavitation? Are the pressures getting high enough for that?

Just wondering. . .

Todd
Old 01-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

No, I wouldn't think so. I would guess it was trapped air. If you have your filter dumping into your tank above the PH it would add air.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't been to school in a really long time, so what is Cavitation?
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
what is Cavitation?
The sudden formation and collapse of low-pressure bubbles in liquids by means of mechanical forces, such as those resulting from rotation of a marine propeller.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

while away I have done a 10% water change and while I was at it I dropped the maxijet down about 6 inches and shook the air out of the magnums. I have not seen air bubbles yet but the true test for some reason will come at 7pm when my atnics come on. Ill let you know so you can help others.

Thanks alot

Tags
bubble, bubbles, microbubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com