!@#$ing microbubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know i have asked this before but in my tank I run 2 (hot)magnums for water movement and carbon. Well they both seem to blow microbubbles also a power head with no way to get air?
I have replaced seals and used crisco packed into any possible air suction then I even wrapped all possibilitys with electrical tape.
They still blow micro's about 1 time an hour for about 1 min. Now I know for a fact that it is not my seals especialy because of the maxi-jet that is to old for air intake that also does this. Is this a problem with some kind of algae that I can't see or clean out? Could this be related to my atnic lighting at night, it seems to be worse at night when they are on?

I just don't get it please help

Possibly you just need to turn them down a bit-if they are adjustable. I had a powerhead that did that also, just turned it down, and for some reason-I don't know why-it doesn't do it anymore.

Stacy

ive always wondered that my self i have a few maxi-jets and one spits air out from time to time and its underwater ?!?!? were the air comes from i have no idea !?!?

On the power head while its under water tip it side to side and front to back a little. Often times air will collect in the impeller area while its being lowered into the tank. This will clear it of air but honestly the air should not come back. If teh PH is just below the surface then it could be causing a mini cyclone just above the air outlet and cause air to be pulled in that way.

The same for the hot magnums. If you gently tilt them side to side while they are running it should help remove any air pockets that might be int it.

which makes sense but this not the case hehehe i have the power head sitting sideways as it is and way below the surface and running for months and still like every hour or so it burps air !!! id almost think that the power cord is allowing air thru it which if so then id be getting shocked for sure hehehe

Do you think it could be cavitation? Are the pressures getting high enough for that?

Just wondering. . .

Todd

No, I wouldn't think so. I would guess it was trapped air. If you have your filter dumping into your tank above the PH it would add air.

while away I have done a 10% water change and while I was at it I dropped the maxijet down about 6 inches and shook the air out of the magnums. I have not seen air bubbles yet but the true test for some reason will come at 7pm when my atnics come on. Ill let you know so you can help others.

Thanks alot :lol:

I've had this problem and I found my solution, although it might not be the same as yours... I had a PH in my tank a few inches below the surface and it was blowing air out every once in a while... What was happening was the nitrogen bubbles from the sand bed were collecting under the pump and when they had collected to a large enough volume that the bottom surface of the PH couldn't hold them down anymore they would seep around the sides and get into the impeller and get burped out. Prolly not your problems, but just a thought.

Yeah I still don't know I think that I will just go with the nitrogen bubbles, we see alot of these during atnic periods. I even pulled one magnum cleaned it and out of curiosity, ran it freshwater in a bucket for a few hours no bubbles. It must be something it the tank. Perhaps saltwater has such different propertys that the impellers spin so fast they are creating a pocket of air behind each blade, multiplying until it eventually spits into the tank.

I have also noticed the only pumps doing this are the originals from my ciclid tanks years ago?

Back
Top Bottom