injured maroon clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend of mine has a maroon clown that was attacked by the maroon she already had in the tank. He has almost lost his tail and his top fins. What can I tell her to do to help him? She is gonna take the original clown back to the lfs she bought it from. She wanted to give me the injured clown but I am afraid it will cause problem with my perculas. Can melafix be used in a saltwater system. I offered to let her put him in my qt but she thinks that is silly cause he's not sick,just beat up. How long will it take for the fins to grow back? THanx

Tinia

Tell her she can't introduce a new clown with an old clown and expect them to not fight!

It'sfine to put an injured fish in the QT. It's a good place for him to recouperate without the possibility of harassment by other tank inhabitants, if he's injured he may be vulnerable. Melafix can be used in saltwater but you need to make sure you don't overdose. I would definately put him in QT if you're going to try the melafix and not put the melafix in the main tank. I believe that damaged fins, etc. can make him vulnerable to secondary infections, but I'm no expert, this is just what I've been told by the experts.

I`1ve had this happen and the fins grew back just fine in a couple weeks. If he is just beat up I would say leave him in the main unless other fish are bothering him. I would also keep a close eye on him to see if secondary infection takes place. Then put in QT to treat. Mine regrew fins with no problem. No medicine was needed. Good luck

first is seperate it away from any other fish AND invertbrates (shrimp to be exact)
so it can heal and get the food without too much competition.
second, try not to do too much for it, anytime u over react might cause more stress than suppose to be.

I have 2 true percula clowns that did quite a bit of fighting when I added the 2nd. They beat eachother up pretty well and had tattered fins. One of the clowns grew back quickly while the others took a bit more time. If you QT the fish they should grow back no problem. I would not add a maroon in with your other clowns. The odds are that there will be lots of fighting. Try and let the little guy heal up and then take him to the LFS for a new home.

Back
Top Bottom