Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Inline UV Sterilizer

I just got a gfo/carbon reactor from BRS and intend to run it with the MJ12 it came with through my return section in sump. What I'm thinking and could use feedback is to add a UV Sterilizer inline with the reactor. I'm not sure if this is wise or a better way to do so? Rather than add another pump, would running it inline with the reactor be the most efficient setup? My intention is to have my return water as pristine as possible. Though I have read bringing the outlet from the UV back to the skimmer intake would also help. That's why I'm asking here. Any ideas or suggestions are gratefully welcomed! Thanks...

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Is this a reef tank? If so, I wouldn't use a UV sterilizer at all. It's not going to make the water any cleaner. Instead it's just going to kill whatever passes through it, pods and beneficial life as well. The return area is where you want pods and such to make it to the return pump to go back to the display. I don't know if I would want an obstacle like that at all.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

line, uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com