input on sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i just got my overflow for my 30 gal tank. i should have my sump built by the end of the week. i am just making my final decision on designs. i will be using a 15 gal tank. it is 24x12x12. i am going to do a 3 chamber design. with a bubble trap dividing the last chamber. i will be doing a fuge in the center chamber with about 10 pounds of live rock and some kind of macro algea. here is the design i think i will be going with

1st chamber - filter sock.
2nd chamber - fuge - live rock rubble and macro algea
3rd chamber - bubble trap. possible sponge to catch large deterious - return pump and heater

sump-tank.jpg

i have a prism HOB skimmer that i was going to hang on the first chamber for now untill i get a larger unit to place in the sump.

do i need to build the sock holder with the divider wall like in that sump design i posted or would it be fine to just to have the sock sitting in the first chamber?

any input is welcome. thanks in advance

Nice looking sump. Dont worry about adding a section for the filter sock there is no problem alowing it to dump in the first chamber

I would invert that sump and use the larger side as my intake, so you can fit a larger skimmer. It doesn't look like you can fit much of a skimmer in that small section.

I was gonna make the first chamber larger specifically for a skimmer. The last chamber will be quite small and will only have my retun pump in it. It will also be a triple wall divider bubble trap. I'm trying to decide on a skimmer right now but its so hard to choose. The coralife seems to be the best budget wise but they don't get very good reviews. And marineland has one as well but also a lot of people saying they are not great. I just don't wanna spend 400 on a skimmer. I wanted to keep it below 200.

I would invert that sump and use the larger side as my intake, so you can fit a larger skimmer. It doesn't look like you can fit much of a skimmer in that small section.

Agreed. I made my return compartment only about 6"X12"

I was gonna make the first chamber larger specifically for a skimmer. The last chamber will be quite small and will only have my retun pump in it. It will also be a triple wall divider bubble trap. I'm trying to decide on a skimmer right now but its so hard to choose. The coralife seems to be the best budget wise but they don't get very good reviews. And marineland has one as well but also a lot of people saying they are not great. I just don't wanna spend 400 on a skimmer. I wanted to keep it below 200.
So, total water volume is roughly 45 gallons?
How about this-
Reef Octopus NWB110 4

or this-
Bubble Magus BM-NAC3.5 Cone Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

Or this-
Bubble Magus NAC3.5 In Sump Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer w/ Bubble Plate
(NAC 5.5 I was trying to link)

thanks mr.x. the only thing that sucks for me is being in canada i normally pay out the butt for shipping. but those are good models? i havent read too much into protein skimmers yet so i am not sure what brands stand out from the rest. i assume the coralife and marineland units are a no no?

Yep. I like the BM skimmers. they give you a lot more for your money than the other brands. I would go with the NAC 5.5. It's way more skimmer than you need.
I wouldn't bother with the Coralife skimmer. I've never tried a marineland skimmer, but I tend to go with skimmers with actual air and water #'s, instead of just a tank size rating.

I personally use an instant ocean 100 for my 60 with 15g sump and it works great. Pulls tons of waste out and I know a website where you can get it for 80 bucks. It either goes in sump or hob... Depends on hy tubes you use but all tubes come with it. I empty the cup about every 3 days.

Marineland skimmers are very ineffective in removing waste , so don't waste yur money ....get a reputable skimmer its the kidneys of yur tank.....

Came across a eshopps 100 skimmer. Reviews seem to be good. And it will fit the footprint of my sump. Any opinions?

thanks mr.x. the only thing that sucks for me is being in canada i normally pay out the butt for shipping. but those are good models? i havent read too much into protein skimmers yet so i am not sure what brands stand out from the rest. i assume the coralife and marineland units are a no no?

i too am a canadian reefer and there are a few good sites for us Aquarium supplies, saltwater and reef supplies and equipment in Canada - GoReef.com and Your canadian online reef aquarium super store, ReefSupplies.ca are 2 i can think of both out of Montreal

I've used both Eshoppes and the instant ocean, otherwise known as "seaclone" . They are garbage IMO. Anyone who says they are good, doesn't have anything to compare them to.
Looks for air and water intake numbers. The more air and water comes in, the better it will skim....bottom line.

it seems that bubble magnus 5.5 will be my best option. thanks nosaj81 those site are very helpful and will save me a bunch of money. i may place an order for everything this coming week if all goes as planned. i am going to try to have the sump up and running this week.

Back
Top Bottom