insects as livefood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvsfx

Aquarium Advice Activist
i cant believe i thought of this just now but i saw a spider weave a web and journey down to my floor from the ceiling and couldnt help but contemplate feeding the lil bugger to my blue velvet damsel who seems to want to take a bite at just about everything in my tank.
are insects safe for marine fish? yes, no? i do get an earwig infestation once in awhile and i wouldnt mind seeing these things get gobbled up :slurp: . if so are there any that should be avoided? venomous ones? or ones with hard exoskeletons? i have seen a video of sumone feeding scorpions to there fish which would be both venomous and hard , right :/

Just today I was wondering the same thing.. There was a fly in the living room that was paying alot of attention to my 55gallon, which has an open top. I thought to myself, I bet those gold fish would love to tear that bugger up.

I've never done it, but a friend of mine does. Ive seen him feed box elder bugs and flies to his corals! Ha. More specifically his duncans.

Duncans are such pigs. :D

I guess my only question would be,, why?? Just to say you did it...
Its not like fish food is hard to come by...Are you going to hunt down and capture spiders everyday:lol:..JK,,but really,,why would you do it..You have no clue what are where the spider/fly/bug has been or crawling on or in(insert poo or whatever here)..I wouldn't do it

Should I worry: Tiny white worms crawling inside fishtank wall. Small tank with filter, heater and one betta. Used soup ladle to scoop water out and put in clean. Took ladle and washed in dishwasher with kids drinking thermos and other dishes. Sent the thermos to school today. Dishwasher kill everything you think? Should I worry?? Should I have run everything with bleach?? Please help!!!

I'd hesitate to feed my marine fish anything not normally in their diet. Just think about pesticides or other things the spider spider may have ingested. Your fish will eat the same thing.

Don't do it.

PS - mjgj - get tools for your tank dedicated to your tank. Buy another ladle.

mjgj said:
Should I worry: Tiny white worms crawling inside fishtank wall. Small tank with filter, heater and one betta. Used soup ladle to scoop water out and put in clean. Took ladle and washed in dishwasher with kids drinking thermos and other dishes. Sent the thermos to school today. Dishwasher kill everything you think? Should I worry?? Should I have run everything with bleach?? Please help!!!

Talk about thread hijacking! Lol.

They're fine.....no worries at all.

Sniperhank said:
I have flies and things fall into my tank all the time. My fish could care less about it and they always end up in my overflow.

That's why I was wondering if it's ok.. It's not like I'm going to go hunt down dinner for my fish every night, but in the event that a moth or fly lands in the water... I know my fish will eat it up immediately.

ahh sorry totally forgot about this thread, i dont know i wouldnt feed them that all the time or nothing and yea i feed my fish almost every food just so i know there getting proper nutrition and can grow up big and strong :) but i would like to see my fish's natural hunting instincts it would be interesting, like there natural life isnt in total sequence like the ones we provide in aquariums im sure sum fish in the ocean catch the old fallen migrating bug.
i could always pick up sum crickets from the reptile store and gutload them full of fruit and veggies, im pretty certain theres more protein in one of those juicy bad boys then flaked fish food:/

Last edited by a moderator:
heck my lfs only seems to sell dry or frozen fish food! if only i knew how to breed mysis shrimp :9

Back
Top Bottom