Instant Ocean or Oceanic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seajay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious what the general consensus is on these two. I know we all have our brand preferences but I am not educated on either one of these brands. I just need to mix up about 4 gallons.

Thanks

When mixing this up with distilled water, do I need to add anything else to the mixture before putting it in the tank? I assume I don't need to worry about chlorination?

Youn would want to heat the water and bring it up to proper temps. Ideally you would mix it then let it sit for 24 hrs with a heater and PH for a good mix.

I lost the entire contents of a 175 due to bad salt from instant ocean. After that happened, I did some extensive reading and found I was not alone. I won't trust that salt again. I have used oceanic for the last year in all 6 of my tanks and am quite happy with it. I do not have the issues with it that some folks have.

I found Oceanic to always have a low pH. I've since switched to Kent (advice from steve-s). So far so good. My lfs recommends TropicMarin too (as does steve-s).

what do you mean by bad salt from instant ocean?
Ive used it for 10 years, never really had a problem, I did notice the ph is higher rated from the web then other salts but it seems to work for mee as I seemed to have a ph problem but using hte instant ocean seems to compinsate and ive had a perfect ph of 8.2/8.4
I didnt know you could get bad salt but I guess anything possible

Back
Top Bottom