Instant Ocean Reef Crystals out of the box test values

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been using reef crystals my whole reef keeping experience. I've tested several times right out of the box.

It always reads right around 8dKH and pH about 7.8. Everything else tests good (about 420 in ca, 1500 in mg, 0 nitrates).

How does your reef crystals test when mixing it before adding to the tank?

I've had good success with keeping corals alive, but I've only seen growth really in soft corals (and I've been doing this over a year and a half now). My LPS and SPS seem about the same.. and when comparing pictures look about the same (with the exception of my candy cane coral which has split like 5 new heads and my duncan before it started dying split 5 new heads).

I think I'm going to try using my ph buffer and carbonate/alkalinity supplement to bring those values up and see if I can get better LPS and SPS growth.

I never tested my reef crystals right out of the hate like that, but like you they are all that I have used since starting in this hobby. I thought that my sps were not growing at all and were dying since the tips were white. I was quite wrong in my assumptions, as reviewing prior pics showed lots if growth.

I wouldn't blame the salt if it has been on going, as it usually is a bad batch if out it's and there it's a slim likelihood of out being bad for so long off of a 55...we go through salt quick! I know you do weekly water changes...refresh my memory about your lighting and schedule. How about flow?

I've been using reef crystals since day one. Instant ocean reef crystals and everything seems to ok. Just started dosing 2 part about a month ago.

I too use reef crystals, always have. I started having growth on my SPS & LPS once I started dosing Kalk. I find it much easier than the 2 part as I dose through my ATO.

Yeah I'm going to raise my pH to 8.2-8.4 and get my alk up to about 10 and see if that helps my coral growth.

Back
Top Bottom