Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you got a 20-30 gallon, you could use it later as the sump (as Malkore said above) or as a quarantine tank. You could use the FW filter on the QT, as well--so you really would be able to recycle most of the stuff. As someone with (some) FW experience going to SW, I can back up what people are saying about getting your feet wet (heh) with FW. It's really helpful to have experience with tank cycles and fish maintenance and behavior and all that stuff. I'm kinda scared as is--if I didn't have any fish practice, I'd be REALLY scared.

75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ambulocetus
I went with fw to start with, then switched over to sw after a couple years. It really helps to have some experience with the general behavior of an aquarium as a whole, before diving in to sw (which is hugely more complicated!). Also the set-up is much cheaper, the chemistry is less complicated, maintenance is less (do not underestimate how easy it is for a noobie to get burned out on sw maintenance, as they didn't; have an understanding of the level of maintnece a fw tank takes) the fish are somewhat hardier (no offence to any fw fanatics!) and in the worse case, a total tank wipe out might set you back 50-60 bucks for a large tank of tetras.... You might lose the same amount of money with the death of a single sw fish!
Having said all that, if you are determined to do the reseach and put the time and effort into it you can make sw work!

But that is just one man's opinion!
ambulocetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 PM   #13
Actually SW is as easy if you get good advice from the start, buy the right equipment and have patience. Certain fish like damsels, clowns and alot of others make for a colorful display but are also very easy to keep! Stick with the members of AA.com and you will be almost garunteed success!!
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
The main reason I suggested FW first, other than experience, was costs. Even a small SW tank can get surprisingly expensive, and if you're gonna be moving and getting a big tank in a year then I think FW would be more practical right now.

If you've got a few hundred to spend then by all means go for the SW now.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, if I wanted to small SW, whats a good size? Could I get away with a 20-30gal? or is that just too small?
Zidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok ive talked it over w/ my mom and she really likes the SW ones. shes gona do soem reading up on em also, bc she would really like to have one. IF I have any questions (which I know i will ) Ill be back to ask

Zidion is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com