Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It's a beaut!!!!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An interesting thing, his color changes depending on if its been out and about or hiding - he can go from almost a solid brown, to the bright colors in the pic above in a few minute's time. The brownish bandings seem to move around on his body. Not sure if that's a sign of a problem or not... these guys aren't very common, and there isn't much info on them.

Update - he's taken to eating flakes now and pretty much all the frozen stuff I use (brine, sprirulina enriched brine, mysis, etc). Even the Formula 1 from Ocean Nutrition, the orange gel-type stuff, which none of the other fish will touch.

I have to feed at both ends of the tank now, cause when he's eats, he eats fast, and it tends to scare the other fish a little, especially the clowns. He's not agressive towards them, I think just his size and quick movements when he's feasting intimidates the others. So, I get him started at one end, then feed the rest at the other.

Him and my yellow tang will get in tug of wars with a frozen block of food. The tang tries to be dominant over him, even though the tang is a lot smaller, but the parrotfish just ignores him.

The parrotfish is getting friendlier too, when he sees me at the tank he's coming clear up to the surface, anticipating food.

Even with all the warnings I've found about parrotfish, even the smaller princess variety, I think if I can keep enough LR around with corraline on it, this one will make a great pet and will be quite happy.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what is his approximate rate of LR consumption?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right now he's just scraping off the surface, leaving pure-white patches underneath. I've got one big rock (well, big for my tank), about 13 pounds. He's cleaned probably 1/4 of the surface of that rock down to bare. It was covered with diatoms, purple corraline, and green corraline.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 05-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i wonder how much live rock you'd need so that the rate of corraline growth equalled his consumption? in other words, so there would be only bare batches here and there but for the most part the tank was still purple and green

a very cool fish that i contemplated getting at one time but was scared off due to his feeding requirements
Old 05-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm trying to get him acclimated to eating other things - its working well so far, and the plaster feeding blocks (the kind that are sold for when you go on a week long vacation) are his favorite now, he's really backed off grazing on the rocks.

I think I'd need quite a bit more rock if that's all that was going to sustain him.

He's still picking at it some, but not as much. He still sprays sand out his bottom when he "goes." That's quite a sight to see too

After I have him a while, I'll post how the coralline re-growth is going, compared to his eating.

Update - the parrotfish loves algae wafers, too.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is the fish my wife wants. She saw them on a cruise ship trip once. I have personally heard and seen them when I was diving at club GITMO in cuba..... long story, but I was not a guest, I was a member of management! BTW they love it when you smash a snail and wave the guts into the water, that brings them right up to you, just watch your fingers!

THEY GET BIG......

you may need a bigger tank bro.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've mostly weaned him off the LR nibbling, with algae wafers. Going to try some other kinds of algae wafers to give him some variety.

abnmojo - this variety is only supposed to reach a foot or so. I'm building a new home, and planning at least a 150g built-in tank somewhere in the house, so space might no be an issue down the road.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3

Tags
parrotfish, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com