Interrelated question about DIY skimmer and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasek2k1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm building a skimmer based off this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14332&highlight=skimmer

I was just wondering how does this hang on the back of the tank and will acrylic less than .1" work?

Also how do you mod powerheads so they look the way they do on skimmers, do you just take the parts off?

And also, since I'm adding a skimmer, this will obviously reduce the detrius laying on my rocks. I will be adding an algae pack of just snails for my tanks- an assortment of margaritas, cerith, nerite, etc. Should I reduce the number of snails I get because they will be less detrius or should I still get alot. I have 3 snails so for on my live rock and I want to add about 12-18.

Any help on both items would be very helpful. Thanks.

A skimmer doesn't remove detris, it removes dissolved organics in the water (invisible scum, put simply). Stick to your existing plan for snails/crabs.

I wouldn't go any thinner than .1"...you need this to be rigid, not flexible...if it flexes you'll break the seals and have a mess.

The DIY photos you linked to appear to show a standard maxi-jet powerhead. No parts are 'removed'...you simply don't attach any of the parts that come with it (intake extension, outflow director, etc).

My guess is that it also uses the 'venturi adapter' to get air whipped in. You can get those for like $5 from premiumaquatics.com

Back
Top Bottom