Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Introducing anenome

Introduced first BTA today. Though I had read enough and that it would all be simple.... (Naive!)
Lights are off and power head off for now in attempt to allow it to settle. Problem is that it keeps falling off rocks and landing on its side or upside down... Should I keep picking it up or will that just stress it? Should I just leave things and see if it can mobilise to a more suitable place. It's pretty much wedged on its side between two rocks now... Also- how long should I leave power head off for ? Few hours / overnight?
Thanks!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Leave the ph and lights off for alittle bit, maybe a couple hours before turning the powerheads back on and start the lights on slowly, maybe max out at 50% before lights out.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what kind of lighting, how long has your tank been running, rodi water? Basic information to help determine nem behavior. If you do not have his water, and lighting requirements, he may never survive, also a picture to look at his color to see if he looks healthy or bleached. Nems are not hard to keep as long as you meet all the requirements.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

He is no longer upside down, has crept into a rock crevice and is half poking out / half hiding.
Yes I use RO water, parameters in tank stable for about 6 months now (it's just over 8 months old). As for lighting- my tank has a hood, the lights are 2x 18w T5 10,000k lighting.... If that means anything?!
Might try and feed him later today, person in fish shop sold me a bag of frozen fish (each about an inch long) and told me to feed it half a fish every couple of days . Not sure how to get it to him- tweezers??! Alternatively was going to squirt some brineshrimp towards him using a syringe?
Will try get a photo once he is less hidden .
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you can not keep a nem under 35 watts of lighting. You need MH, high end 3 watt LED's or 4-6 bulb T5s. For a reference, my nems sit 5-6 inches under 500 watt MH to give you an idea of how much light they require. You just dont have the equipment to support it.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

No chance of a nem living long under 2 t5s. I have a 6 bulb and I'm STILL scared to try it.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have 2 green bubble tips under a 6 bulb t5 system started with 1 and after a month it split it can be done with a 6 bulb but i doubt a 2 bulb would have enough light
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bummer. Why do fish shops sell these things and tell you it'll be ok ? :-( thought I had done enough research. Currently researching if lights on hood can be upgraded but suspect it'll cause too much heat.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinebeginner View Post
Bummer. Why do fish shops sell these things and tell you it'll be ok ? :-( thought I had done enough research. Currently researching if lights on hood can be upgraded but suspect it'll cause too much heat.

because they sold it and made money. Thats all they want to do. My BTA has been under 6 HO T5's for 3 years and is 3 times the size. Did you tell the LFS you had t5's or did you say you had 2 18w bulbs? You are going to want to add a DI to your RO system to. RO does not clean out everything from water, the DI will polish it off and give you 0 TDS.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought the tank from them so told then what I had and presumed they'd know if that was ok. :-(

I buy my water pre- made (seems to be the standard way here in Glasgow) and it is deionised , reverse osmosis without salt and I also buy some salted to salinity 1.025ppm.
(I still check salinity with refractometer and monitor my levels)

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com