Introducing anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinebeginner

Aquarium Advice Regular
Introduced first BTA today. Though I had read enough and that it would all be simple.... (Naive!)
Lights are off and power head off for now in attempt to allow it to settle. Problem is that it keeps falling off rocks and landing on its side or upside down... Should I keep picking it up or will that just stress it? Should I just leave things and see if it can mobilise to a more suitable place. It's pretty much wedged on its side between two rocks now... Also- how long should I leave power head off for ? Few hours / overnight?
Thanks!

Leave the ph and lights off for alittle bit, maybe a couple hours before turning the powerheads back on and start the lights on slowly, maybe max out at 50% before lights out.

what kind of lighting, how long has your tank been running, rodi water? Basic information to help determine nem behavior. If you do not have his water, and lighting requirements, he may never survive, also a picture to look at his color to see if he looks healthy or bleached. Nems are not hard to keep as long as you meet all the requirements.

He is no longer upside down, has crept into a rock crevice and is half poking out / half hiding.
Yes I use RO water, parameters in tank stable for about 6 months now (it's just over 8 months old). As for lighting- my tank has a hood, the lights are 2x 18w T5 10,000k lighting.... If that means anything?!
Might try and feed him later today, person in fish shop sold me a bag of frozen fish (each about an inch long) and told me to feed it half a fish every couple of days . Not sure how to get it to him- tweezers??! Alternatively was going to squirt some brineshrimp towards him using a syringe?
Will try get a photo once he is less hidden .

you can not keep a nem under 35 watts of lighting. You need MH, high end 3 watt LED's or 4-6 bulb T5s. For a reference, my nems sit 5-6 inches under 500 watt MH to give you an idea of how much light they require. You just dont have the equipment to support it.

No chance of a nem living long under 2 t5s. I have a 6 bulb and I'm STILL scared to try it.

i have 2 green bubble tips under a 6 bulb t5 system started with 1 and after a month it split it can be done with a 6 bulb but i doubt a 2 bulb would have enough light

Bummer. Why do fish shops sell these things and tell you it'll be ok ? :-( thought I had done enough research. Currently researching if lights on hood can be upgraded but suspect it'll cause too much heat.

Bummer. Why do fish shops sell these things and tell you it'll be ok ? :-( thought I had done enough research. Currently researching if lights on hood can be upgraded but suspect it'll cause too much heat.

because they sold it and made money. Thats all they want to do. My BTA has been under 6 HO T5's for 3 years and is 3 times the size. Did you tell the LFS you had t5's or did you say you had 2 18w bulbs? You are going to want to add a DI to your RO system to. RO does not clean out everything from water, the DI will polish it off and give you 0 TDS.

I bought the tank from them so told then what I had and presumed they'd know if that was ok. :-(

I buy my water pre- made (seems to be the standard way here in Glasgow) and it is deionised , reverse osmosis without salt and I also buy some salted to salinity 1.025ppm.
(I still check salinity with refractometer and monitor my levels)

The lighting system definitely needs to be upgraded to atleast a 6 bulb t5. Sorry...I'd see if you can bring the nem back - or if they can give you a good deal on a new light fixture. E-bay has a nice set up for $179 shipped 6 bulbs w. a timer.

i have 2 green bubble tips under a 6 bulb t5 system started with 1 and after a month it split it can be done with a 6 bulb but i doubt a 2 bulb would have enough light

Splitting is not a good thing, my oldest nem is 7 years old and 10 times the size he was when I got him, my other four are 3-4 year old nems and are 4 -5 times their original size, and none have ever split. Splitting is a save the species reaction, some say an over feeding reaction but never seen any proof of that. And especially if they split within a month it is because the conditions are not right.

Marine beginner, I also just got a GBTA. I drip acclimated for 3 hours. I introduced it into my 90 gallon with lights and PH's off for 12 hrs. After 12 hrs I set my PH at 50%. My coral bandit picked at it in the original spot I put it and it moved away and attached to a rock.

Did I acclimate and introduce it right?

get some dimmable LED's everybody is doing it. I love mine, but don't have any corals yet. Good Luck!

Really good. I feed it twice or three times a week. It's moved into the best spot possible for my tank and corals. I'll upload a picture when I get a chance. Thanks for asking.

Here a picture of it. Not the best picture I'll try to get a better one once its fully opened.

image-1838902190.jpg

your nem is VERY bleached, like I said before, it split to try and save itself, unless you have MH lighting or 3 watt high end cree leds, it probably will not make it, sorry but just stating the facts,

Anemone Bleaching - RTAW Reefpedia

If it's bleaching doesn't that mean it's getting too much light? :blink:

Can you adjust the lights or move it lower in the tank, maybe give it a bit of cover. I'd try making some adjustments and maybe PM Mr.x. He's very knowledgeable.

your nem is VERY bleached, like I said before, it split to try and save itself, unless you have MH lighting or 3 watt high end cree leds, it probably will not make it, sorry but just stating the facts, your tank is less than 6 months old and you only have 36 watts of lighting, you can not keep a nem, and your chances of keeping a bleached one is slim to none. For reference My nems sit 4 inches under 500 watts of MH lighting, just to give you reference to what they need to thrive. He will die and crash your entire tank, so keep a watch on it. Sorry but those are the facts.

Anemone Bleaching - RTAW Reefpedia

Back
Top Bottom