Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Introducing New Fish

I have just recovered from losing 3 fish to ich. I am now starting to consider adding new fish to my aquarium and I would like some tips. I have read a few of the horror stories relayed here about new fish being destroyed by the established fish in the aquarium and I want to try to avoid this if possible. I have a 10 gallon qt aquarium, so I am ready to put the new fish in quarantine when they are purchased. I currently have a large yellow tang and a spotted hawkfish. The two top fish on my list to purchase (but this is still open for discussion) are a regal blue tang and a clownfish (undecided on the type). Would it be best to purchase these at the same time? There is a baby regal blue tang at the lfs that is about one inch long. Is there any concern with purchasing such a small fish? My aquarium is a 90 gallon reef tank. Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

you might want to add them at the same time because you have large tang. if you add two at the same time the tang will have more to pay attention to then just one. imo when you get babies like that there is always a concern because you have to wonder how often do they need to be fed,how are they going to handle the stress of being moved again,how are they going to handle being put in with bigger fish. but i have all aggressive tanks. so if your tang is not aggressive you could probably get away with putting them in sperate. i would ask your lfs how offten they are feeding the regal tang because some babies have to be fed 3 to 4 times a day because of their metabolism. again this is just my opinion.

Old 09-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
IMHO I would definitely think carefully about putting two tangs in a tank this size. Remember that the tangs are definitely a little aggressive with conspecifics. Maybe someone with direct experience can comment on this

Your large yellow is likely to attack the small regal because of territoritality issues. Even if you were to put a large tang in with the yellow, there will probably be fights between the two. 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you both!

I had heard that two Tangs might not get along, but I never considered this to cross over to two different types of Tangs. Also, I thought, hopefully perhaps, that it wouldn't apply to a new Tang that was much smaller.

Thanks again for the advice!

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com