Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-goog...?v=qRLnye9yzOk my fighting conch I got yesterday

Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies View Post
What do harlequins eat? Does he disturb the fuge's sandbed or eat any pods?
Harleys only eat echinoderms, primarily starfish, and some urchins. I feed mine a C.chip leg once a week. He doesn't disturb anything in my fuge, he just cruses around all day looking for stars and the mate that I still need to get for him. I like having the harley in there because it keeps me interested in fuge and forces me to clean it more often than I would.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #43
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I was at my lfs and saw an invert that you might enjoy. Horseshoe crab. It was a real small one and totally cool. If I hadn't already got to much for my tank that day I might have got it.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I was at my lfs and saw an invert that you might enjoy. Horseshoe crab. It was a real small one and totally cool. If I hadn't already got to much for my tank that day I might have got it.
Be careful and do lots of research on these before adding them. A very cool animal, they do not belong in the home Aquarium IMO.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfishofbabylon
Here are 2 of my Favorite inverts that i have;

My Peacock Mantis Moe Smashins

And my massive Harley, he's the Boss of my Fuge
That mantis looks evil lol. Harley is very unique. Have never seen one before. What is it? Would they b ok in a fowlr
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

I so wish mantis' weren't killing machines, I would love to have one in my display tank. For the harlequin, I always liked how they looked but just imagined feeding them would be too much trouble. You say you feed them 1 leg a week, how long does this last for? And do you just chop off the leg yourself? lol :3

@ above, the harley is a harlequin shrimp that eats starfish as its diet. as for being in a fowlr, I wouldnt know exactly except as long as theres nothing that would eat him in there like some aggressive fish
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusAaron

That mantis looks evil lol. Harley is very unique. Have never seen one before. What is it? Would they b ok in a fowlr
Thanks yes mantis shrimp are pretty mean, i keep him in his own tank. As for the "Harley" it's a Harlequin shrimp; sorry I should have stated that in the original post. So since it's a shrimp it would be fine in a FOWLR as long as you don't have anything that will try and eat it. The main down side to "Harleys" is that they only eat starfish, so unless you have a big system with lots of Asterina stars you have to keep buying starfish which gets expensive.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
I so wish mantis' weren't killing machines, I would love to have one in my display tank. For the harlequin, I always liked how they looked but just imagined feeding them would be too much trouble. You say you feed them 1 leg a week, how long does this last for? And do you just chop off the leg yourself? lol :3

@ above, the harley is a harlequin shrimp that eats starfish as its diet. as for being in a fowlr, I wouldnt know exactly except as long as theres nothing that would eat him in there like some aggressive fish
Yes I keep C. Chips in with the mantis (he can't hurt them). I pull one out once a week or so, hack off a leg and toss it in the fuge. The legs last about 3 days or so. A whole star last about a month and a half.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm how many c. chips do you have in the fuge? I'm thinking of having enough stars that I never have to buy anymore after a given amount. How long would it take for a starfish to grow a leg back? (to decent previous size)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I keep the C.Chip star in a separate tank with the mantis, I keep one or two at a time and alternate a leg from each, the stars take too long to regrow a leg so the reason is just to make the stars last. The Harley would eat a whole the star in a week or so, this way I get more bang for my buck and my fuge has no left over starfish carcass making dirty.

Tags
invert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com