inverts die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
HELP guys, every time I do a water change even 10% my snails die a few days later, also my sea urchin lasted a few changes but now he is dead as well, last I bought a condy he was great until I did a water change ( yesterday) this morning he is dying , the fish are always fine, levels are also fine>OK here we go I ( I know its wrong) but I use my well water for changes :nono: but I add the proper levels of salt, wait until the water clears and then slowly add the water, I have never had issues with fish doing this but this my first round with inverts, (OH by the way I have a fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp and they have been perfect the whole time they even shed every 2 weeks which i think is a great thing) so please Help, some more info , I am using a canister filter fluval 404 for a 65 gallon tank, 2 power heads 50 lb of live rock, live sand 2 inch bed, the salt I use is instant ocean my level 1.025
thanks in advance
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif

Without some info like your parameters, age of tank, how much water youre changing Im going to have to guess there is something in your water doing it.

HELP guys, every time I do a water change even 10% my snails die a few days later, also my sea urchin lasted a few changes but now he is dead as well, last I bought a condy he was great until I did a water change ( yesterday) this morning he is dying , the fish are always fine, levels are also fine>OK here we go I ( I know its wrong) but I use my well water for changes :nono: but I add the proper levels of salt, wait until the water clears and then slowly add the water, I have never had issues with fish doing this but this my first round with inverts, (OH by the way I have a fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp and they have been perfect the whole time they even shed every 2 weeks which i think is a great thing) so please Help, some more info , I am using a canister filter fluval 404 for a 65 gallon tank, 2 power heads 50 lb of live rock, live sand 2 inch bed, the salt I use is instant ocean my level 1.025
thanks in advance
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif
I've given up keeping turbo snails because they are just too picky to water changes. Everything needs to match exactly, temp, salinity, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree turbo snails are done with me, I have not checked the temp with water changes yet, only to the touch
thanks

You should buy a copper test kit. Usually tap water has traces of copper. That'll kill inverts easily. I'd really advise to stop using tap water. Walmart sells gallons of ro/di water for about $.89. It's the bottles with the lime green caps. It'll say "made with reverse osmosis". I buy about 10-15 gallons for changes and use it for top offs too. My best guess is its the copper. You can't really remove it.

Mix the salt water overnight and make sure it has same temp as your tank. Put air stone at least a couple of hours to your mix to have sufficient oxygen before slowly putting it in your tank. Never use tap water. Go to grocery store and get that RO water by gallons in that machine outside. Good Luck.

You realley should invest in a RODI unit. Especially having a medium tank. I use IO as well. After my wc, I make more water and start mixing the salt (the new patch is mixing for a week) This way I will have saltwater ready for my next wc or have 5 gallons available for an emergency.

yes I am looking to that, from what I understand the medium size tanks are harder to maintain than a larger one?
Thanks
for the info

I never use freshly my salt water to the tank. I make the RO/DI let it sit for 24hours witha power head then add the the salt, again let it sit 24 or longer. I never turn the pumps off, put the new salt water in by the sock and drain from the display. Yes I might be pull a little of the new but not much at all IMO it works. I have 11 tubos and 15 zebras all doing great

Definitely mix your salt overnight and use a heater and a power head to mix it. Only change 20% or so and you should have no issues.

Back
Top Bottom