inverts without LR???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
klam said:
cleaner shrimps.

They will still need some hiding places, especially during molt time. I would stick with crabs and snails. Most all marine inverts thrive with LR as it serves as a food source and a safe haven from aggressive tankmates.

I found some kind of little crab hiding in mine last night. I think it is a Pinnotheres sp. but I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it before it ducked back into the LR.
EDIT: I'd like to add a little to the original question if I may. What about an invertebrate-only tank WITH a LR? Would that be easier to deal with than a FOWLR or a mixed tank with LR, inverts, and fish? I only have the spotfins in this tank now, but I could easily use this tank as a small fish-only tank and use the 89-gallon tank I have coming as an invertebrates-only tank.

diverdown69 said:
I found some kind of little crab hiding in mine last night. I think it is a Pinnotheres sp. but I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it before it ducked back into the LR.
EDIT: I'd like to add a little to the original question if I may. What about an invertebrate-only tank WITH a LR? Would that be easier to deal with than a FOWLR or a mixed tank with LR, inverts, and fish? I only have the spotfins in this tank now, but I could easily use this tank as a small fish-only tank and use the 89-gallon tank I have coming as an invertebrates-only tank.

I'm not sure what you mean by easier. There's nothing wrong with doing species only tanks. If you leave out the fish you could have a cool invert only tank, you would have many types of microcritters without predation.

phases99 said:
klam said:
cleaner shrimps.

They will still need some hiding places, especially during molt time. I would stick with crabs and snails. Most all marine inverts thrive with LR as it serves as a food source and a safe haven from aggressive tankmates.

Some crabs and snail still need algae to eat. And without CFL to produce light they might not get the food source they need.

I have seen cleaner shrimp molt before at a LFS in just a holding cell with no live rock.

I agree live rock plays an important role for food.

The shrimp will molt without LR. But as I understand, it stresses them out due to the lack of a hiding place.

Back
Top Bottom