Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

inverts without LR???

are there any inverts that dont require LR and and a CFL to survive???

Old 09-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cleaner shrimps. They will eat pretty much any kind of seafood

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam
cleaner shrimps.
They will still need some hiding places, especially during molt time. I would stick with crabs and snails. Most all marine inverts thrive with LR as it serves as a food source and a safe haven from aggressive tankmates.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I found some kind of little crab hiding in mine last night. I think it is a Pinnotheres sp. but I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it before it ducked back into the LR.
EDIT: I'd like to add a little to the original question if I may. What about an invertebrate-only tank WITH a LR? Would that be easier to deal with than a FOWLR or a mixed tank with LR, inverts, and fish? I only have the spotfins in this tank now, but I could easily use this tank as a small fish-only tank and use the 89-gallon tank I have coming as an invertebrates-only tank.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdown69
I found some kind of little crab hiding in mine last night. I think it is a Pinnotheres sp. but I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it before it ducked back into the LR.
EDIT: I'd like to add a little to the original question if I may. What about an invertebrate-only tank WITH a LR? Would that be easier to deal with than a FOWLR or a mixed tank with LR, inverts, and fish? I only have the spotfins in this tank now, but I could easily use this tank as a small fish-only tank and use the 89-gallon tank I have coming as an invertebrates-only tank.
I'm not sure what you mean by easier. There's nothing wrong with doing species only tanks. If you leave out the fish you could have a cool invert only tank, you would have many types of microcritters without predation.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by easier.
Less of a PITA to deal with chemistry-wise

Quote:
...you would have many types of microcritters without predation.
Care to elaborate a little here? Microcritters is a term that encompasses a LOT of organisms.[/quote]
Old 09-29-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phases99
Quote:
Originally Posted by klam
cleaner shrimps.
They will still need some hiding places, especially during molt time. I would stick with crabs and snails. Most all marine inverts thrive with LR as it serves as a food source and a safe haven from aggressive tankmates.
Some crabs and snail still need algae to eat. And without CFL to produce light they might not get the food source they need.

I have seen cleaner shrimp molt before at a LFS in just a holding cell with no live rock.

I agree live rock plays an important role for food.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The shrimp will molt without LR. But as I understand, it stresses them out due to the lack of a hiding place.

Tags
inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Test kit | Nori »