IO salt problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK OK OK...

I know that I am pro IO salt, but lately, I have been having some problems with it.

If I mix it and let it agitate for 24 hours there is nothing wrong with the batch. Nice and clean.

However...

If I mix it up and let it agitate for 48 hours or more, it is calcium precipitation city. I come in this morning to do a water change on the 40. I had made up the water on Friday and wanted to let it mix through the weekend and then do the water change on Monday. When I lifted the lid off the can, there was, "white stuff" was floating everywhere. My two powerheads were covered in white, my thermometer was covered in white and my heater was covered in white. Basically it looked like it was snowing in the can.

Why is it, that I can mix it for 1 day and have no problem? But if I mix it for more than 24 hours, calcium starts precipitating like it's no ones business.

I did a pH check on the water. It came out to 8. Then did a KH check and it came out to 10.5 dKH. I didn't do a calcium test but I assume it would have come out to around 350-375 which is what they all have come out to in the past. I know this is out of ionic balance, but these are the same parameters in my display and I have not had this problem there...

Very weird indeed. I don't know why mixing it like this is causing this problem. Am I adding the salt to the water to fast???

Am I adding the salt to the water to fast???
I think if that were the issue you'd be seeing the precipitation MUCH sooner, almost immediatly.

It's the high ALK that has been common in IO salt. As the water continues to mix tha high alk starts precipitating the CA and over the longer period of time (without adding it to the tank with more stable parameters) it continues until you get the snowstorm.

It's the high ALK that has been common in IO salt. As the water continues to mix tha high alk starts precipitating the CA and over the longer period of time (without adding it to the tank with more stable parameters) it continues until you get the snowstorm.

Why did I have a feeling *you* would say that..

:mrgreen:

Well I have two options. I can either mix it and then use it within 24 hours or I can switch brands of salt...

I know you said that you use Tropic Marlin and like it. Not sure if the LFS carries that or not. I know they carry Reef Crystals, but since that is made by Aquarium Pharm. just like IO is, I don't think that will make any difference.

Grrr...

This is soooooo nit picky, I have to apologize for bringing it up, really feel like a heal saying it, but...

IO and ReefCrystals are made by Aquarium Systems, StressCoat etc...is made by Aquarium Pharm.

I've been using Reef Crystals since I set up my system, and i often let change water mix and heat for 2-3 days before using. I have never had a precip problem.

FWIW

BAH!!!

That is what I meant. I always get those two confused...

Billlyz, no problems with yours, huh? What does the ALK measure out on that when you make a fresh batch?

Back
Top Bottom