IO salt source of ammonia?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, so anybody who's been listening to me whine for the past several weeks about my cycle taking so long (8 weeks now).....Here is my latest discovery....

Checked levels tonight, ammo = .2 (been at that number over 1 month now), trite = .0000001 (well, you get the idea).

So for the heck of it I tested my RO water I have ready for topoff's, 0 ammo. Then I checked my salt water I have ready for a water change, ammo = .2 8O

Then I put a pinch of salt in the bottom of the test vial and filled vial with clean RO water (which just tested 0) and swirled until clear. Then I tested that, ammo = .2 8O :?

Can anybody explain what the heck that is all about??????

I just brought a water sample to the lfs last week and they got the same results with a different brand of kit. I tried to explain my little experiment and she either thought I was ignorant, or she was the ignorant one. I may bring in some tank water, clean ro water, and salt and have them repeat what I did so they can see what I'm talking about.
I'm thinking of switching to oceanic salt for the calcium anyway but don't know if I can find it local or if I'll have to get it online.

I use IO and have never had a problem. Perhaps your salt got contaminated somehow. :?

Hmmm, I bought a 60# (200 gal) box of it. It has 4 bags of which I have one that is not opened yet. When I go to the lfs to have them do my little experiment I'll take the unopened bag and have THEM open that and if it produces the same results I'll have them do an exchange or something.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

I have seen this when using an ammonia test kit that was not designed for saltwater. This is some Dr something or the other brand isnt it. With the little test tubes and the dropper of liquid. When I started out i saw the same thing. False positive with that test kit.

Back
Top Bottom