Iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati2242

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive been loosing quite a lot of colour out of my tank recently . I have changed my salt and up till now only done 1 50% water change . I have now checked the iodine content in my tank water and it as low as low as it would go on the scale. Below 0.01 when I think that it should be 0.06 I now think that this is my problem , Anyone else think thats my problem.

You should be doing a weekly water change of 10-20%. This will remove bad stuff while supplying good. In most cases this is all that is needed to keep trace elements like Iodine up where they should be.

There are all sorts of things that can cause problems or a failure to thrive in corals. I wouldn't say it is definitely or only iodine. Try getting on a better water change schedule before dosing and see how it helps.

What other things have you tested for?
What do you feed?
What size tank?
What lighting?
What is the nitrate concentration?
What corals do you have?
Which ones are losing color?

I do a 30% water change every other week .
My parameters last week were.
Ph 8.1
Kh 120
Gh -10
Amm 0
Ntri .1 ( trace only)
Ntra 40
Phos -1

I have a 250 ltr tank that has been running for 18 months before that I had a 100 ltr Nano for a year that I upgraded to this.

I dont have a lot of corals but do have a few maxi anemones and large, 150mm , mushrooms.

My lighting I have changed ,but only 10 days ago, to LED. Before that I was using metal halide and T5s.

Its not so much my corals that are suffering its my rock. Im loosing all the purple colour and all the alge off the glass is gone.

I changed my salt because I bought a tub of coral reef and not coral reef pro so have now changed to the right salt. I used the other salt for about 2 months. I have been loosing colour for about 6 weeks now.

I only feed with mysis.
Fish I have are
Blue tang 100mm
yellow tang 100mm
coral beaty 50mm
flame angel 50mm
maroon clown 80mm
maroon clown 40mm
leopard wrasse 80mm
2 gobies. 40mm.
Various shrimp (5)
snails and crabs about 20 total.

That is a lot of nitrate for a saltwater tank, especially for reef. Are you using tap water for water changes and/or topping off? I would do water changes weekly, not every other week. I would also only do 10-20% at a time. If there are issues do them more often, not larger. What do you feed?

A lot more light all of a sudden can cause bleaching, especially with lower light corals like mushrooms.

Coralline algae loves KH, Ca, light, etc. Do you test calcium at all? It sounds like the salt may have thrown things off.

Only ever used RO water and my nitrates have gone up very recently from about 5 to 40 but I did loose my file fish and never found about 2 weeks ago.

sorry and I feed 1 cube of mysis daily and I feed with pellet automatically through the day. smallest amount it will give.

I will do as you have advised and do 15 to 20% water changes weekly from now on. I have a pump in my sump to remove the water and a pump in my garage to replace the water so it is easy for me to do anyway.
Hers a picture taken now.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 100
For iodine i would suggest using vibrance by Aquavitro. You need to lower your nitrates first than deal with your iodine problem ^^

By the way sweet setup -.^

For now you will probably need to do water changes more frequently, every 2-3 days, until the nitrate is back down.

After removing rock displacement including the water in my sump I have just over 3 gallons per inch of fish

Those guides have nothing to do with anything. If the fish are getting along, have enough room for their activity level, and you keep the water quality up you are not overstocked.

Those guides have nothing to do with anything. If the fish are getting along, have enough room for their activity level, and you keep the water quality up you are not overstocked.

Thats what I thought . When I get my nitrates down a bit I`m getting another goby.

Im thinking of starting with vodka . Ive purchased a bottle but Im doing a water change tonight before I decide wether to use it or not. At the moment I`m of the opinion that it cant do any harm. Such a small amount though .5 ml.from what I have read.For 50 gallon (240ltrs). Good idea or not.

Back
Top Bottom